Moderator Control Panel ]

Farm Deeds

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Farm Deeds

Postby Will Mundy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Good evening,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with finding out about some of my ancestors living at a Farm called Portobello Farm, portways in Pyrton Oxfordshire. It’s in the Chilterns and Joseph Herbert (my ancestor) was listed as a Farmer there in 1901, and woodman on estate in most other census’s. I’m trying to discover about his time there and also whether he was a tenant Farmer or not? Does anybody know how to find out?

Regards,
Will

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Farm Deeds

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:29 pm

He was probably a Tenant. We were Tenant farmers at Radbourne, Derbyshire for 46 years until this March holding just under 500 acres. The land is owned by the Chandos Pole family since about 1200. All their old manor and estate records are held by Derbyshire Records Office at Matlock. Maybe the local Oxfordshire office holds similar deeds, etc.

You can start by looking at the tithe map on The Genealogist, that is from about 1847. If you look at an Ordnance survey map from around 1895 onwards, you should be able to pick out the farm as most are named. Cross reference that with the tithe map and use the number to find the owner on the tithe list. It could be the owner of the Estate or the church.

Seems it's on the boundary near Shirburn, have a look here and go down to fn265.. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/o ... /pp178-198
Templ4r

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am

......and the boundary wiggled and changed over the years in that area.
As Templar said if you can find out who the Landowner was and find where he was based it will give you an idea where to look. It may be Oxfordshire Berkshire or even Buckinghamshire as the boundaries converge in the vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:53 am

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/o ... 78#h3-0003
Although it may not answer your question this is a good background read
meekhcs

Return to General research queries