Moderator Control Panel ]

Schooner DAIRYMAID 1915

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Schooner DAIRYMAID 1915

Postby Thatman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:29 am

Hi list

on February 11 1915 the schooner Dairymaid sailed from Teignmouth bound for Runcorn with a cargo of clay. It never reached it's destination and on 22 April was listed as 'missing'.

My grandfather crewed on this ship in 1912 and 1913 and is listed on Crewlist. There are no crew lists for 1914 and there will be no list for 1915 as they were submitted every six months to the local registry (Lancashire in this case)

A family story is that he was on a vessel that sunk and was not found for some time and ended up in Queenstown, Ireland. His fiancée/girlfriend took his identification papers over - he was Norwegian and had lived in Fowey since 1912.

I am not sure that the ship in question is the one he was on and searches of newspapers for Cornwall, Devon and Ireland have not shed any further light on the fate of the ship and it's crew.

I would appreciate local knowledge or possible sources of further research.

regards

Bruce Holm
Christchurch, New Zealand
Thatman

Re: Schooner DAIRYMAID 1915

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 am

According to the 1915 newspapers, she was from Fleetwood, where I live. She was built across the Bay at Glasson Dock in 1867. There is an inspection report for her, saying she leaks and the wheelhouse is in poor condition and was repaired. She had a bad collision in 1883.

Runcorn is in Cheshire, not Lancashire so would any paperwork be at Chester?

There are a few Dairymaids about, one is in Australia, so care needs to be taken it's the right ship.

FEARED LOSS OF FLEETWOOD VESSEL. The schooner Dairymaid was yesterday posted in Lloyd's **Missing.** vessel left Teignmouth the 11th February for Runcorn, and no news has since been received of her feared she has foundered with her crew of about 12 hands. The Dairymaid was 167 tons gross register, built in 1867, and belonged Mr. J.Howard her port registry being Fleetwood.
Last edited by Templ4r on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am

MISSING CORNISH SKIPPER. the application of Mrs. Hausen, in the Probate Court Monday, Mr. Justice Hargrave Deane allowed presumption of the decease of Hans Hausen, master of the schooner Dairymaid. and who formerly resided at St. Austell. It was stated that Mrs. Hausen saw her husband before he went the voyage, and she received a letter from him subsequently. Since then she had not heard anything her husband. Inquiries had been made by the owner of the schooner and the Board Trade, but nothing more had been discovered as the fate the vessel and crew.

REVENGEFUL SEAMAN SET FIRE TO SCHOONER AT BRITON Heber W. Farrance, seaman, appeared remand at Neath on Friday charged with setting fire to the schooner Dairymaid at Briton Ferry Docks the 5th inst. The charge was now reduced to one of malicious damage. Hans Hansen, the captain the Dairymaid, said that the 5th inst. he reprimanded prisoner for going ashore without leave. ■Later witness went ashore, and on returning found that the galley had been on fire. James Foster. Skewen, a Territorial, said that he was on duty at the lockgates at Briton Ferry Docks, when heard someone shout that the boat was on fire, and he assisted in extinguishing it. He saw prisoner running away from the boat. Prisoner was fined £3 and costs, or one month.
Templ4r

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:51 am

Hello
The West Brtion and Cornish Advertiser 11.11.1915
Does have a bit more
Mrs Hausen wife of the Master Hans Hausen was granted probate on behalf of her husband who was presumed dead.He formerly resided at St Austall and she had seen him off on the voyage and received a letter form him but nothing had been heard since.The owner of the Schooner and the Board of Trade had made inquires but nothing had been discovered of the vessel or crew.
So the presumption was they had all perished.
They had sailed from Teignmouth on the 10th February.

If you have a name of your Ancestor it should be possible to find him on latter records if he survived.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:15 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasson_Dock

That's where she was built. It's on the River Lune which goes to Lancaster. The area in Morcambe Bay and the navigable part is called Lune Deep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood

This is her home Port. Sadly near derelict as the fishing fleet went to Hull and Grimsby in the 1970's and the P and O ferry service to Larne ended about 10 years ago,
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:43 pm

I've posted on the "Fleetwood Past and Present" Facebook page asking if they know anything

What those people don't know about Fleetwood history and ships in particular isn't worth knowing..
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Your ancestor isn't Karl Holm is it?

https://www.crewlist.org.uk/people/tran ... tId=242665

Married Florence Dowrick in 1916 and they all went to Wellington, NZ in 1930.
Last edited by Templ4r on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:04 pm

An elderly Lady in Fleetwood has got back to me, her GGrand father was part owner of Dairymaid and she has a picture of her at Dartmouth.
Templ4r

Postby Thatman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:22 am

Templ4r,

thank you for comprehensive replies. Your assumption on the name of my grandfather is correct.

I probably need to elaborate on the family story.

We know that he was on a ship that sunk, was eventually rescued and ended up in Queenstown, Ireland. It is possible that he was one of only two or three survivors. Florence, his future wife, had to take his papers to Queenstown to prove identity and she made him promise that he would not sail again (he had been a seaman since 1906. He eventually married and had three sons before emigrating to NZ in 1931)

The piece of the puzzle for me is what ship he was on and where it was that he was shipwrecked. This is the closest that I have gotten to the answer and the fact that he had previously sailed under Captain Hansen on the same vessel leads me to the possibility that this was the ship he was on. The problem that I have is the lack of news in local papers as to the fate of any possible survivors which is complicated by the fact that WWI was well underway and the loss of shipping to the German navy was more significant.

The lack of a crew list is probably due to the fact that these were usually filed six monthly and this occurred in the first part of the year.

regards

Bruce
Thatman

Postby Templ4r » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:10 am

I've have had a few more answers and there is a picture of Dairymaid at Fleetwood museum, where as luck has it, a friend volunteers there. Another has links to Teignmouth and is posting on their maritime site.
Reading the newspapers, there was another vessel from Teignmouth missing at the same time as Dairymaid, both mentioned together. Maybe they never made it around Lands end if German navy vessels were working in the area...

There is a newspaper article about Karl Holm, aug 14 1914, a young German sailor being held as an alien as he hadn't reported in time, so that will be why he wasn't at sea for a period. Seems he had to wait for the Secretary of State to let him go back to Fowey.

Found the marriage and it says his father is from Stavanger.
Templ4r

Next

Return to General research queries