Moderator Control Panel ]

Schooner DAIRYMAID 1915

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Schooner DAIRYMAID 1915

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:28 pm

If I recall correctly, no body means no death certificate. Normally! People can be declared dead though I don't know if that results in a death certificate being issued or simply a legal declaration.

Now whether there are different circumstances for sailors, I don't know. But I wouldn't confuse being in a list of presumed dead with having a DC issued.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Templ4r » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:16 pm

My GGGrandfather disappeared around 1886, there is no trace of him after the 1881 census. My GGGrandmother remarried in 1893 and it says on the certificate "Widow, former husband presumed dead" as after 7 years you can declare someone dead and we can't find a death certificate.

I've read the marriage is legal, but if he turns up again, it is annulled as the first marriage stands.
Templ4r

Postby Thatman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 am

Templ4r,

it would appear that at least four of the crew were certified dead and they were never recovered. I suspect that the 'noise' generated by the sinking of the Lusitania may have overshadowed any further news regarding the Dairymaid.

regards

Bruce
Thatman

Previous

Return to General research queries