Moderator Control Panel ]

'Hatherley'

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: 'Hatherley'

Postby MoVidger » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Selina can be found in the 1901 census, working as a servant in Brixham. On Ancestry, her surname is transcribed as "Atherly". She is in service to the Blackler family.
MoVidger

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:16 am

I don't think the Selina married to Charles Heale is the right one, even though all the trees say she is.

It makes no sense to be married, have a child out of wedlock in the Workhouse, register her in a maiden name and then leave her and go back to your husband and other child on Dartmoor. If she did have an affair, if Charles knew nothing about it, then Selina would say nothing and act as if she was her husbands child.
Lena is a shortened Selina, as Kate is to Katherine, I can't find a Selina Lena apart from the trees.

I'd take a good look at Selina from Brixham. Going by what Movidger has found, and if the BC for Lena in 1907 says Selina is a Cook or Servant, Selina is in the Workhouse system so there should be records. As children are a burden, the Overseerers will want fathers names to get them to pay up.

There is a good chance that she's hinted who Edwards father was, so look for a Fear in the neighbourhood.
Last edited by Templ4r on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:48 am

William married Selina Wylie in 1869, Selina Ada was born 1884, MMN Wylie.

William married Susan Lewis 1893.
Templ4r

Postby ColinW » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Thank you both for searching 'Hatherley' and showing me the results.

It's hard to find out which is right or wrong!
ColinW

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:31 pm

That's the fun about doing your tree, the detective work. At least there are only a couple of Selina Hatherleys it can be, not like looking for a Mary Smith in Manchester...

I'd go with Mo and get Lenas marriage certificate and see who is a witness. There is a marriage for a Selina in 1917 to a Charles Pearce, on the 1939 register born 7/10/1884 as a widow at Paignton, who died in 1960. She matches Selina Ada Hatherley born oct 1884.

When the 1921 census arrives maybe that will prove one way or the other.
Templ4r

Postby ColinW » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Having done a new search for Selina Hatherley (with out middle name Lena) I came across this marriage info:

Selina Hatherley
Marriage: Apr 1917 Totnes Devon (where my family has always lived)
Spouse: Charles Pearce

What do you think?

I also have a new question………

On Lena Hatherley (Selina’s daughter) birth certificate I have got it says…...name of mother….. Selina Lena Hatherley.

Does that mean that any search I do for Selina Lena Hatherley I have to always include the middle name to get the right person?
ColinW

Postby Templ4r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:48 pm

That's the marriage I mentioned above.
Look for Selina Pearse on the 1939 register. They use Pearce and Pearse on electoral registers.
She is registered as Selina Ada in 1884.

If you know a full name use it, then try first name and then try the second. Some people didn't always use the first name. Various ways of spelling as some ancestors were illiterate and people wrote down what they heard or how they thought it was spelled.
For Catherine try Kate, Edward try Ted, Elizabeth could be Eliza, Beth, Betty, etc.

I had a Phylis who was also down as Philiss and Filis, so think peonetically, jot notes down how you might spell a name, especially when people have an accent, such as Suffolk or Black Country.

Don't forget,if you can't find the ancestor you want, look for siblings or in laws. An unmarried sister in law or wifes sister on a census generally tells you the wifes maiden name.
Also, "walk the streets", have a look at the neighbours, check the surnames and places of birth, families often lived in the same street or moved to the same area. I have Stevens from Chedworth in Gloucestershire living in Winshill, near Burton on Trent. 2 Stevens sisters married local men and lived a street away but their place of birth was a good sign they were family, so I easily found the marriages.
If your ancestor was born before 1837, see if they have siblings born after that so you can get the mothers maiden name.
Templ4r

Postby ColinW » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Thank you again for your advice!
ColinW

Previous

Return to General research queries