Moderator Control Panel ]

Burials

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Burials

Postby Norfolk Nan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Following on from my recent Charles Taylor query, I’m now stumped re his burial. When he died in May 1874 from bronchitis and pneumonia he was working in Brighton as a butler and died at his place of employment. Technically he was married but I don’t know if his wife was in Brighton, I think not as a neighbour registered the death.

I can’t find his burial on the usual indexes but do they only record deaths taken from headstones? He came from Gloucestershire so is it likely that someone would have had him taken back or were people buried quickly and locally at that time? Who would have been responsible for burying him if his wife wasn’t available - I’m not sure they ever lived together, all very odd.
Norfolk Nan

Re: Burials

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 pm

No a burial index should record all the burials that take place in a cemetery or graveyard.

There are however Tombstone indexes or Churchyard indexes which are indexes of the Monumental Inscriptions in a cemetery or churchyard.
These do not always record everyone in the grave and some even commemorate a person who was buried elsewhere.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby peter kent » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Generally speaking burial indexes are compiled from burial registers. The indexes that you've been consulting should specify the source of the data. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "usual indexes".

It might be that he was buried in a municipal cemetery rather than a churchyard. There were at least four cemeteries operating in the Brighton area by 1874. You need to contact the council. There are details of how to apply for a search on the council web site.
peter kent

Postby Norfolk Nan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:52 pm

I’ve checked the municipal cemeteries apart from one, that’s privately owned now so I will contact them in the new year.

The usual indexes refers to the many and varied that are available via Ancestry and FMP. I know there are some links to pay-to-view sites featuring pictures of headstones etc so I was thinking out loud really. My city ancestors have generally been interred in common graves so no headstones or markers so I wondered if that might explain me not finding this chap yet. His circumstances were a bit odd too so I’ve no idea if he’s buried locally to where he died or taken ‘home’ wherever that might be. I don’t think he’d lived in Gloucestershire since he was 14 and his wife was in London so the search area is far flung.
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries