Moderator Control Panel ]

Bombardier Ernest Hilton WW1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Bombardier Ernest Hilton WW1

Postby Sucher » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:58 pm

Thank you Adrian for your advice about the destruction of the records.

Aveline, from what you have discovered it does seem that Ernest returned to duty. I’ve searched various databases for the casualties list. Most seem to require a subscription for what is probably an one-off enquiry - would you mind sharing your source and any further information? Thanks.

Well, 1918 was a disaster for the Hilton clan. Ernest’s sister and brother (another serving soldier) also died that year.

Thanks to you all and a very Happy New Year.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby avaline » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 pm

If you PM me your email address I'm happy to send the full page to you.
avaline

Postby Sucher » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:12 pm

PM sent Avaline.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby Sucher » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:06 pm

I wonder how long it took between a casualty happening and the date it was posted on the daily casualty list. I’ve found evidence of a casualty in Ernest’s regiment on 21 January 1918, a month earlier than the entry on the daily list. In ‘A short history of the 39th Brigade, Deptford’, there is an entry for Bdr E MIlton, It seems likely that this is a transcription error and that Ernest may well have returned to his unit only to break his leg a second time.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby avaline » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:23 pm

It varied, but casualties usually appeared on the daily list 3-6 weeks after the event.

The fact that Ernest did not receive a Silver War Badge supports that he returned to his unit, only to be wounded a second time.
avaline

Postby avaline » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:32 pm

Have you obtained his Pension Record Card from Fold3?

Looking at the examples linked below, these sometimes give further information about the cause of death.
https://www.westernfrontassociation.com ... nts-cards/
avaline

Postby Sucher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi Avaline

My 3 free searches on Fold 3 had been used up so haven't been able to search for pension records. However, in view of the deadline of my grandson's WW1 project, I have used the services of fourteen eighteen.co.uk to speed up the project and to get professional assistance. Today, I have received a comprehensive 25 page report giving detailed background about Ernest's service including a pension card! Also, precise maps where events affecting Ernest took place. There are a number of attachments, most of which I had (census, etc) but also my mother's whereabouts on the 1939 Register that I previously failed to find. The turn round has been amazingly swift, the charge very reasonable and from my experience I can thoroughly recommend this service to anyone researching a WW1 veteran.

http://www.fourteeneighteen.co.uk//

Thank you for your generous advice

Sucher
Sucher

Re: Bombardier Ernest Hilton WW1oN

Postby Sucher » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:27 pm

I’d just like to post the answer to my initial query. Ernest Hilton did not break his leg twice. Apparently the document showing his entry into and discharge from the casualty clearing station was incorrectly dated as 1917, the preceding and following pages are dated 1918. Bizarre but apparently the case. The pension card reveals a new mystery. Elizabeth, Ernest’s widow is entitled to benefit for each of her four children until they reach the age of sixteen. If I have deciphered the card correctly, she was also the guardian of Vera Monika Hilton, the benefit ceasing 3 June 1933. So a date of birth of 1917? Try as I might, I cannot find any trace of a V M Hilton so who was she? Not to be confused with Ernest and Elizabeth’s own daughter also named Vera born in 1912 and who is named separately on the pension card. Weird, any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Aaaargh - an error in the source! It happens, of course, the issue is how you realize it.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, Watson..."

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Military help