Moderator Control Panel ]

Interpretation

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Interpretation

Postby Lusby84 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:26 am

Hello,

Can anyone interpret the Japenese/Symbols please?

Mostly interested in the Camp....

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG (323.97 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Lusby84

Re: Interpretation

Postby MoVidger » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:39 pm

There are several POW records with images for Leonard on FMP. One of the records, similar to the image you posted, indicates it's "Thailand or 4D Camp".

The 1945 PoW record for him is from the "Prisoners of War, Far East: British POWs in Thailand and Saigon as at 1st August 1945" set.

A quick internet search for "4D Camp" suggests that it might not refer to a specific camp:
"The Japanese divided the PoWs into work groups when they were building the Thailand-Burma Railway, and the various work groups worked on different areas of the Railway.

The Headquarters of each work group had a main Camp and Hospital.
Group 4 Headquarters was Tha Sao. The PoWs in Group 4 worked in the area from Wang Pho to Kinsaiyok; and the main hospital for Group 4 was at Tha Sao".
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:08 pm

He served with the 80th Anti-Tank Regiment, and was captured in 1942, possibly at Singapore. I wonder if he was first sent to Changi Prison (before being transferred to the PoW labour camps outside Singapore)?

If you're searching his PoW records on FMP, be sure to use his service number (96677) as there are a handful of records listed under "L.J. Lusby", as well.
MoVidger

Postby Lusby84 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:35 am

Hi, Thanks for the replys.
I have previously taken all that I can from FMP and other websites regarding him.
My Grandpa didn't talk about his time as a POW, but I have been told/found odd bits out since his death. He was as you said imprisoned at the camp in Changi after Singapore fell and I know bits after he left the camp. I was just interested to cross check the Japanese with the information I already know.
My next step is his service record, but I am waiting in hope they can be ordered online this year.
Thanks again
Lusby84

Return to General research queries