Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage in a 'Licensed Room'...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage in a 'Licensed Room'...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:37 pm

I have some relatives who, although banns were read, were “Married in the Licensed Room according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after banns...” in 1845 in Buckfastleigh, Devon. Does anyone know what this ‘Licensed Room’ would have been - and why they would have been married there when there was a church in Buckfastleigh?
(the words in italics are what has been written in the marriage record).
Phil

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchye and taste lyke chicken!
Cachalot6972

Location: Locked down in Brittany, in the land of cheap wine and cheese...

Re: Marriage in a 'Licensed Room'...

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:26 pm

It may be worth joining the Rootsweb Mailing List for Devon https://mailinglists.rootsweb.com/listindexes/details?list_name=devon - unlike many others, that is still quite active on matters Devonian. Personally, I can't make head nor tail of your text! Just some thoughts (OK, wild stabs in the dark) from me.

"Licensed Room" suggests somewhere not in a CofE church that is licensed for marriages - though it is a CofE ceremony. So where might that be? A private chapel? Or even just an ordinary CofE chapel that simply isn't licensed for marriages? Somewhere that the couple had a personal reason for wanting to be married?

But I had it in my head that going outside the rules (e.g. being married in a CofE church / chapel not normally licensed for marriages) required a marriage licence, not banns....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby avaline » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 pm

The West of England Conservative of 8 May 1844 carried a report that the Buckfastleigh church was closed, for the purposes of a new roof and other improvements. Divine services were to be held in the large schoolroom at the vicarage house. The vicar was Rev. M Lowndes, who I see performed the 1845 marriages.

There is then an article in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 11 July 1846 saying that after 2-years and 2-months, the church was to open again on the 23rd.

There may be further articles, but this suggests that the ‘licenced room’ was perhaps the schoolroom in the vicarage.

ADDED: Scrolling through the marriages, the last one in the parish church was 23 April 1844, the next marriage was on 23 Jun 1844, and was in a Licensed Room.
avaline

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:56 pm

Ah! That would make a lot of sense - because the authority to carry out marriages elsewhere would apply for a while, it would have been obtained once, not on a marriage by marriage basis. Hence this couple could be married by banns rather than needing a license for a one off. Thanks for that.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:42 am

The licence held by the church under repair would have been transferred to the substitute building or room until the repairs to the church were completed then transferred back to the church under the 1836 Act (An Act for Marriages in England [17th August 1836.])

"XIX. And be it enacted, That if at any Time subsequent to the Registry of any Building for solemnizing Marriages therein it shall be made to appear to the Satisfaction of the Registrar General that such Building has been disused for the public Religious Worship of the Congregation on whose Behalf it was registered as aforesaid, the Registrar General shall cause the Registry thereof to be cancelled ; provided that if it shall be proved to the satisfaction of the Registrar General that the same Congregation use instead thereof some other such Building for the Purpose of public Religious Worship, the Registrar General may substitute and register such new Place of Worship instead of the disused Building, although such new Place of Worship may not have been used for that Purpose during One Year then next preceding ; and every Application for cancelling the Registry of any such Building, or for such Substitution and Registry of a substituted Building, shall be made to the Registrar General by or through the Superintendent Registrar of the District ; and such Cancel or Substitution, when made, shall be made known by the Registrar General to the Superintendent Registrar, who shall enter the Fact and Date thereof in the Book provided for the Registry of such Buildings, and shall certify and publish such Cancel or Substitution and Registry in manner herein-before provided in the Case of the original Registry of the disused Building ; and for every such Substitution the Superintendent Registrar shall receive, at the Time of the Delivery of the Certificate from the Party requiring the Substitution, the Sum of Three Pounds ; and after such Cancel or Substitution shall have been made by the Registrar General it shall not be lawful to solemnize any Marriage in such disused Building, unless the same shall be again registered in the Manner herein-before provided."

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Cachalot6972 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:46 am

Thank you one and all for clearing that up. I thought to start with that they were non-conformists, but being married '...by the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church...' blew that theory out of the water. That's when I got confused...
Phil

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchye and taste lyke chicken!
Cachalot6972

Postby GELGreenland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Phil,
Our church underwent extensive renovations in the 1860's and, on searching through parish marriage records, I found that the local school (only one room in size) was licensed for marriages during this period. Could this perhaps be the same with (Holy Trinity?) in Buckfastleigh?
Greenland
GELGreenland

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi GELGreenland, I think that's right. From the newspaper articles I've read, the schoolroom had been licensed for use as a place of worship, which would also have included the performing of marriages.
Phil

Cachalot6972

Return to General research queries