Moderator Control Panel ]

Mothers name on GRO birth index

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mothers name on GRO birth index

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:50 am

Can anyone explain why some mothers names are left blank on the index? I'm trying to pick one amongst several, hoped the mother's name would do the trick but find several blanks. Why?
Norfolk Nan

Re: Mothers name on GRO birth index

Postby Cachalot6972 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:58 am

I believe generally it was because the child was illegitimate. Although, I have had the odd one or two where the couple were married and it's still missing.
Phil

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchye and taste lyke chicken!
Cachalot6972

Location: Locked down in Brittany, in the land of cheap wine and cheese...

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:31 pm

I still don't understand, Phil - if the child is illegitimate they usually have the same name as the mother so why wouldn't they put it in the index as it'll be on the certificate? Generally it's the father who is overlooked.
Norfolk Nan

Postby AntonyM » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 pm

An woman who has never married has no maiden name (for registration purposes) ....so if no maiden name is shown on the register the new GRO index (correctly) shows the field as blank.

The old paper indexes used a different set of rules and when the maiden name was included on the index from 1911 they just repeated the woman's surname where no maiden name was present on the entry.

So - you will find that the results you get from the two different indexes may vary.

On the register entry, a maiden name should be preceded by the word "formerly" which is how the transcribers who worked on the GRO digitisation some years ago identified that a maiden name is present. In a few cases where registrars didn't follow that convention and perhaps used "late" instead then no maiden name may appear on the new index even though the parents may be married and both named.
AntonyM

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:08 pm

That makes sense - thank you. It's a form of logic I guess :lol:
Norfolk Nan

Postby Guy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 pm

AntonyM wrote:An woman who has never married has no maiden name (for registration purposes) ....so if no maiden name is shown on the register the new GRO index (correctly) shows the field as blank.

The old paper indexes used a different set of rules and when the maiden name was included on the index from 1911 they just repeated the woman's surname where no maiden name was present on the entry.

So - you will find that the results you get from the two different indexes may vary.

On the register entry, a maiden name should be preceded by the word "formerly" which is how the transcribers who worked on the GRO digitisation some years ago identified that a maiden name is present. In a few cases where registrars didn't follow that convention and perhaps used "late" instead then no maiden name may appear on the new index even though the parents may be married and both named.

I would disagree that the new GRO index is correct in not showing an unmarried woman's maiden name.
A maiden is an unmarried woman and only a very few very young ones do not have a name, (though I do note your addition (for registration purposes).

I would suggest the GRO index should therefore repeat the woman's surname.
However I do agree that is not their current policy.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Well, I am looking for the birth registrations for three children born to one woman and in the absence of a wedding - so far I’ve found one with a mother’s name (identical to the child’s) and the other two with blanks, all within a five year span. It seems the rule is a bit hit and miss.
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries