Moderator Control Panel ]

Census help please...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Census help please...

Postby Norfolk Nan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Eliza Riley, 52, from Highworth in Wiltshire is in the 1871 census in St Geo Hanover Square, London with daughter Catherine, son William and granddaughter, Catherine and a boarder and 2 lodgers (what’s the difference?) - apologies for the lack of a link :!:

Can some kind soul find Eliza in any earlier census please? She is married but widowed in 1881, so may be with a Peter Riley who was, I think, a soldier. I can’t find her, her marriage or the children’s births and I need an extra clue or two to move forward. Thanks muchly :)
Norfolk Nan

Re: Census help please...

Postby Neale1961 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:00 am

In the 1841 census there is Eliza and Peter REILLY (note spelling of surname) of the right age, and not born locally, living at Coppice Row, Clerkenwell, St. James. It is some kind of institution - can't see what - maybe workhouse?

Do you know Eliza's maiden name?
Neale1961

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:54 am

No, that’s one of the missing facts. Surnames are a bit interchangeable with this little family. I have them post 1871 but nothing ever matches up although Eliza is Riley whenever she pops up.
Norfolk Nan

Postby Neale1961 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:14 am

1841 census is 27 Copice Row. A number of people all living there. Eliza and Peter Reilly.
Peter is a Jeweller. I think that is what it says.
Neale1961

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks Neale1961, no idea if this is them, my only clue about his occupation is soldier on someone’s marriage certificate but I’ll keep it in mind. Everything helps!
Norfolk Nan

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi
Not sure if this helps
Catherine the daughter marries as Edwards and gives her father as Peter Edwards soldier dec 14.5.1878 Chelsea to Henry Augustus Davison.
her brother William is a witness as William Edwards.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi Ciderdrinker - you've hit the problem. This is my Catherine but she's confused the situation when she claims Peter Edwards is her father. Her daughter does the same when she marries in 1888 - she starts by calling Henry (stepdad) her dad but it's crossed through and Peter Edwards is scribbled in! She dropped the Davison and used the Edwards at marriage whereas a brother married as Davison.

And William Edwards the witness isn't Catherine's brother - her brother William Riley marries in 1881 declaring a Peter Riley, deceased, father. Their mother, Eliza is also still Riley in the 1881 census and still Riley at death in 1894.

I can't find Catherine or Eliza or William before 1871. I can't find a marriage for a Peter Riley to an Eliza (and I don't know who she is) so I think she took the man's name but didn't marry him. I can't find him anywhere but Eliza says she is married in 1871, a widow in 1881 and Catherine says he is deceased in 1878 - I can't pinpoint a death for Peter Riley. I think I've found a couple of possible soldiers - 59th Notts Foot reg is one, or a private at Chattam Barracks on the 1861 census which gives Flintshire his birthplace (on the 1841 census this chap is at home with a brother called William so maybe?) or another in the 88th Regiment in 1881 who apparently deserted.

Catherine and her daughter Catherine are Riley on the 1871 census, but she and three children are Edwards by the time she marries Henry Augustus Davison in 1878 (btw, she goes on to have 16 children!!!) The youngest is definately registered as Edwards but without a father - I can't pinpoint the births of the first two or baptisms for any of them. I can't find a marriage until she marries Henry. By 1881 they are all Davison.

I suspect Peter Riley is her father, Peter Edwards the father of her three children. I doubt there were any marriages until she married Henry but why call your ex-partner your father? It's all a bit weird but probably a daft mistake but trying to work it out is driving me bonkers :shock:
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries