Moderator Control Panel ]

Bursledon Birckworks

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Bursledon Birckworks

Postby RichardCrane » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:56 pm

I am a voluntary member of the Bursledon Birckworks Trust and Hampshire Narrow Gauge railway Trust, and my local industrial heritage site is the Bursledon Brickworks Conservation Centre, based alongside the River Hamble between the railway and M27 motorway.

The Bursledon Brickworks was founded in 1897 by the Ashby family, and was a huge complex with many chimneys dominating the skyline and many pits full of clay. Until 1945, it was oprated by the Ashby family, and then, other brickbuilding firms took over until closure in 1974.

Since the early 1990s, preservationists came to restore the remaining southern complex, and now the Bursledon Brickworks is Britain's only steam-driven brickworks left!

This is my local history that I'm involved in.

Richard Crane

RichardCrane

RE: Bursledon Birckworks

Postby Terri » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 am

Richard

Could you tell me if there are any employee records available for the Bursledon Brickworks. It is believed my husband's g grandfather worked at the brickworks at some point after 1901. He is somewhat elusive before 1901, as we have 3 possible dates of birth and only one possible location.

Thankyou
Terri
Terri

Return to Local history