Moderator Control Panel ]

Father's Name

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Father's Name

Postby Norfolk Nan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Was it necessary to show a birth certificate for a marriage in 1880? If so, and no father was recorded but he was known, could he be put onto the marriage certificate or would it have to be left blank?

As you can tell, I'm trying to make links... :lol:
Norfolk Nan

Re: Father's Name

Postby avaline » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:05 pm

In answer to the first part of your question, no, a birth certificate would not have to be produced. As to the father, the information given was taken on face value. Many illegitimate children invented fathers - often using the forenames & occupations of other relatives.
avaline

Postby Templ4r » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 pm

one of mine put her grandfather down on her second marriage, but nothing on her first, and her mother as her sister on 2 census'
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Much as I expected. I’ve also had people making stuff up but I’m trying to find an actual reason why someone wouldn’t add a fathers name but opt to leave that box blank. Perhaps I’m trying to create a romantic tale out of a handful of facts. As I can’t imagine anyone preferring to be known as illegitimate when they had an alternative I have to assume this couple aren’t father and daughter. Ho hum.
Norfolk Nan

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:16 am

I have seen a legitimate groom omit his father in solidarity with his bride who was genuinely illegitimate, so omitted her father.

I have also seen reports that people omitted their father because they'd fallen out with them.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 am

As a registrar I have conducted weddings in very recent years where a bride or groom has chosen to leave the father's name blank, and not necessarily because they were illegitimate. Usually because of some family breakdown early in life and not wanting his name recorded with theirs ..... which they are entitled to do.
AntonyM

Postby Norfolk Nan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:03 am

Exactly what I thought was the case with my couple. It’s a strange collection of facts that could lead in a number of ways - child registered without a father’s name in a tiny rural village, twelve years later a marriage takes place in London and that child is one witness, the other the parish clerk. Bride and groom were in the same village circa the child’s birth so the wedding isn’t a sudden thing, bride and groom have known each other a long time. I began to think that he was dad and this was their way of putting the facts straight. However, as I never find the couple together I assumed the marriage was short lived but sadly the chap died within a couple of years so maybe I’m wrong.

A decade later the child herself marries and leaves the father’s space blank. When I thought the marriage had failed I thought the girl might be rejecting her father by not including him on the paperwork but as he was dead it’s not an explanation - why leave a mourned father off your marriage certificate? So, I’m not sure that he is dad, perhaps just a long term friend who became a stepdad? Having said that, I have other family branches who substituted a stepfather at every given opportunity so red tape wasn’t a problem. I guess I’ll never know.
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries