Moderator Control Panel ]

Lefterhand

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Lefterhand

Postby TheBrewer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 am

Might the name be Litherland
TheBrewer

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 am

Regarding the signature don't forget that "F" and "S" looks very similar and
Susannah Lefterhand (or?) is quite a mouthful and often people, although literate or maybe semi literate, would sign, probably as they had been taught, with a shortened form of their actual name.
All of which adds to the fun when researching!
meekhcs

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:19 am

Absolutely true. Don’t they say a signature shouldn’t be readable? I think that she wanted to appear a bit cleverer than Timothy who made the standard X. Would he know it didn’t actually make sense? I’ve scrawled some weird signatures sometimes.

The question is - how do you decide which variant - or best guess on my part - is the right one? I hate the prospect of connecting to the wrong line.
Norfolk Nan

Postby Templ4r » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:21 am

Other thoughts could be that English isn't her first language. Maybe her signature isn't in English. Maybe the Curate had trouble understanding her...

Being not far from Ipswich, possibly Dutch or Walloon ( speaking Flemish) familes could have come across. There are Lieflands in the Low counties.

I have ONN in my tree, I think they are from Holland, they are in the Fens of Lincolnshire.
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:49 am

There is this ( but we all know they need a pinch of salt as to accuracy...)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3FWG-MF7

But as you quite rightly say Nan.. which variation so you don't go down the wrong line...

You don't do anything but check things..

No tree has anything about her, they all use the same sources. They all use the document you posted (probably the vast majority of tree posters haven't seen that) which was copied as is but not with the second spelling of Leftland and not seen her signature.

You are probably further towards finding her than most people who have just posted a copied tree and given up. It's taken me and my cousins 18 years to find our GGrandmothers birth and she was born in 1886. It's just a matter of searching, taking notes and either finding her or a sibling and working your way back. It's just the wrong side of 1837.....
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Ooh, now, a Walloon! That would be interesting. Or something similar. I did wonder if the problem was an accent issue but how to find out? I’m revisiting all my families and the post 1830 lot are easy in comparison, assuming they tell the same facts at every turn. Earlier it’s great if they stay in the same spot, do something other than labour and don’t marry distant cousins, then it gets confusing. But when they move about...but it’s why we do this, isn’t it.

I have to admit that my original research was pretty basic, too focused on adding names and date and moving on to the next generation. With a bit of time you find out the human story - so much more satisfying.
Norfolk Nan

Postby Templ4r » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Yes, been doing my tree since about 1994, got back on some lines 13 generations as they didn't move far. Most moved about so they are back to the mid 1700's. I was the same to start with, just adding names, then finding out the details made things real..

The newspapers have helped me immensely. One lost ancestor was tried for setting fire to his cottage, sentenced to death and commuted to 7 years transportation, he died on the Hulk Fortitude at Chatham. Papers even told me when he was moved from leicester and where to. Otherwise, he just appeared on his marriage and birth records at Breedon on the Hill.
Another had a brother that shot their nephew and was hung outside Leicester prison by Calcraft in front of 12000 people. A 2 page spread in the newspaper told the story. Other papers told about the murder and the first court cases at Ashby de la Zouch.
You could do with a Will where she is mentioned.

It will all click into place, just needs time, patience and a hint somewhere.
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:21 pm

The papers have been revealing but so far only marital mayhem and accidental deaths. A murder and a hanging must be a strange thing to discover. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a will or something as useful and for nothing tragic! :lol:
Norfolk Nan

Postby Templ4r » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:39 pm

I couldn't find a marriage for a Francis Royle of Croxall, even though the family were there for 4 generations. A visit to the church and he was on a gravestone with another family, written below was the name of his wife, the daughter of the others in the grave.

Found their marriage by Bond in London....

A couple of years after, I was looking at Archive.org and there was a book about Croxall. Has the parish records transcribed, Including the Poor Book and the MIs, which gave the same information. What is interesting is the book is from 1881 and the registers go back a lot further than the registers available now as I presume some are now lost.

Just shows you need to visit where they lived and look further afield for documents.
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Wouldn't that be a great find for all of us! When I started I was so frustrated by the lack of immediate information, so impatient! Now I rather relish the inch-by-inch approach, piecing it all together, but you do have to look under a lot of mossy stones, don't you. I've never been lucky with gravestones or wills but I keep looking.
Norfolk Nan

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries