Moderator Control Panel ]

Danish to English Translation Please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Danish to English Translation Please

Postby Grandma Jedi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:24 pm

1840 Census, Denmark. Can anyone tell me what the status and occupations were of the family in entry 40. Maike Jungoluf Rolufs, Nickels, Cornelis, Elke and Elena. We are researching Nicolas Jean Rolufs, born 1811 in Denmark and think that Nickels is the correct person. Does Jungoluf translate into English as Jean?

Any help is much appreciated.

Grandma Jedi
Attachments
1840 Census Denmark.jpg
1840 Census Denmark.jpg (131.55 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Grandma Jedi

Re: Danish to English Translation Please

Postby MoVidger » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:08 pm

In case it helps, Family Search have this translation table: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Da ... _Word_List

Also, did you see the German marriage and birth record details I included in your other thread about Nicholas/Nickels? They look like strong candidates for this family.
MoVidger

Postby Grandma Jedi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:12 pm

MoVidger - I did reply to you with my thanks. You have definitely found the correct family for my friend. I can't believe how many different sites are available for research that you have taught me.

We need to prove that Nicholas Jean was the father of Emica Elizabeth Honeycombe, she was born in Guernsey in May 1840. Her baptism gives Nicholas J Roloffs as a sponsor not the father. It also says that Emica was a natural born child, could this be because Nicholas and Elizabeth were not married? Nicholas Rolo/uffs, unmarried, was living in Denmark according to the 1840 census, which was taken in February of that year.

Elizabeth claimed she was married to Nicholas and stated she was a widow in 1851. Emica names Nicholas as her father on her marriage certificate. We can't find a marriage for Elizabeth and Nicholas. Unless my friend gets a DNA match for this family I think we have hit a brick wall.

What do you think?

In anticipation :roll:
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby MoVidger » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:26 pm

In your other thread you mentioned that Nicholas, Elizabeth, and Emica appear in the 1841 census in Guernsey. Where is the census record? On Ancestry, FMP, or Family Search? I haven't managed to find the record yet (it's probably right under my nose). :oops:

The reason I ask is because there's an "N. Rollif" (sailor) in the 1841 census. Ancestry have transcribed the surname as "Rollis" but it looks more like Rollif in the image. Birth date is "abt 1811 Foreign Parts". Residence: St Peters Port, Guernsey, CHI. Is this the census record you're talking about?

Also, what is the father's occupation on Emica's marriage record?
MoVidger

Postby Grandma Jedi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi MoVidger

I couldn't find the family but my friend confirms that yes you have the correct family on Ancestry. It is also on Family Search. I think the first entry is Elizabeth Honeycombe Rollufs entered as W. Rolles that may have been H. Rollufs the H. meaning Honeycombe, although the age is incorrect. Nicolas is the next entry and (Emica) Elizabeth aged 1 the last entry.

Emica's church marriage entry gives her father as Nicolas Rollofs, no occupations are listed in this register. The marriage was at the town church in St. Peter's Port, Guernsey.

The Danish link you gave can only be accessed by family members who have an account and password, so no luck there.

With thanks
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Return to General research queries