Moderator Control Panel ]

Nicolas Jean Roloffs - Denmark

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Nicolas Jean Roloffs - Denmark

Postby Grandma Jedi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Nicolas Jean Roloffs, born about 1800 in Denmark. 1841 census in Guernsey, CHI, Seaman living with Elizabeth Honeycombe and daughter Emicah. Died before 1851 census. Can anyone find his birth, death or possible marriage to Elizabeth Honeycombe?

Thank you in anticipation.

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Re: Nicolas Jean Roloffs - Denmark

Postby junkers » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Have you seen this Danish website, you might need to translate it.
http://kamenz-web.de/individual.php?pid=I489&ged=kamenz

It seems he was born in 1811 and died at sea in 1851. The ancestry website message board said that he may have been exiled to Guernsey, having been related to the Danish Royal Family. He was married to Elizabeth, I expect the marriage record is still in Guernsey, see https://www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk/collec ... ly-history.
junkers

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Thank you so much for your reply Junkers. I have never used the Ancestry message board so thanks for that information. I am helping a friend with her research of Nicolas Jean Roloffs and she will reply to the lady who posted the message. We can't find a marriage of Nicolas to Elizabeth in England where she lived or the Channel Islands where she went to live with her sister and brother in law. My friend paid for research for the marriage in the Jersey record office and also visited herself to search the registers with no success.
Elizabeth declared she was a widow in 1851 but did she say she was married for respectability? Her first known child was Emica and her baptism record declared she was a natural born child and Nicolas Jean Roloffs was a sponsor, or godfather, not named as the father.
You say Nicolas died at sea in 1851, what was your source to find this out as we have searched for years for his death?

Regards
Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:35 am

Hi
The 1840 census for Denmark is online on Familysearch
The nearest to him is
Maikes Jungeslief Rolufs 58 Widow and an occupation (I don't know Danish so can't translate).
Nickels Jungeslief Rolufs age 29 single? then an occupation I can't translate.
Cornelies Rolufs 24 single same occupation as Nickels.
Elke Oluf Hanson 87 widow
Elena Nicholson 19 single and a different occupation

They are at Skt Laurentil ,Tonder Tonder Denamrk

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby MoVidger » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Ciderdrinker has found the correct family in the 1840 census record, I believe. Cornelius Jung Oluf Roluffs (1819-1859) was the captain of The Franklin, a ship in the possession of the shipping company R.M. Sloman (Hamburg).

Cornelius' parents were:

Mother - Marrin / Maike Nickelsen Rolufs (1781-1858)
Father - Jung Oluf Rolufs (1781-1834)

An Ancestry tree includes several children for the parents, plus a son Nickels Rolufs (1811-??)
This Ancestry tree states German births and deaths for the family, but no records attached. However, there are German burial records for the parents and two adult children on Findagrave.com

Ancestry has this marriage record:
Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1518-1921
Name: Jungoluf Rolufs
Event Type: Heirat (Marriage)
Marriage Date: 11 Jan 1805
Marriage Place: Schleswig-Holstein, Deutschland (Germany)
Relationship: Groom
Spouse: Marrin Nickelsen
City or District: Süderende u Tondern
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:22 pm

And here is the Ancestry baptism for Nicolas/Nickels:
Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1518-1921
Name: Nickels Rolufs
Event Type: Taufe (Baptism)
Birth Date: 15 Jun 1811
Baptism Date: 16 Jun 1811
Baptism Place: Schleswig-Holstein, Deutschland (Germany)
Father: Jungolufa Rolufs
Mother: Maike Rolufs
City or District: Süderende u Tondern
MoVidger

Postby junkers » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:11 am

Grandma Jedi wrote:Thank you so much for your reply Junkers. I have never used the Ancestry message board so thanks for that information. I am helping a friend with her research of Nicolas Jean Roloffs and she will reply to the lady who posted the message. We can't find a marriage of Nicolas to Elizabeth in England where she lived or the Channel Islands where she went to live with her sister and brother in law. My friend paid for research for the marriage in the Jersey record office and also visited herself to search the registers with no success.
Elizabeth declared she was a widow in 1851 but did she say she was married for respectability? Her first known child was Emica and her baptism record declared she was a natural born child and Nicolas Jean Roloffs was a sponsor, or godfather, not named as the father.
You say Nicolas died at sea in 1851, what was your source to find this out as we have searched for years for his death?

Regards
Grandma Jedi

The date of death off Guernsey is stated on an ancestry family tree, it may or may not be true, you might like to contain the owners of the family tree. Guernsey is a separate island in the Channel Islands and as such they have different records, so you might like to contact the Priaulx Library.
junkers

Postby MoVidger » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Was Elizabeth Honeycombe from Cornwall? On FMP, there's the 1835 Jersey marriage record below. The image is on Ancestry and "Saint Neot, Cornwall" appears after Elizabeth's name.

Jersey Marriages 1542-1940
First name(s) Elizabeth
Last name Honeycombe
Birth year -
Marriage year 1835
Marriage date 22 FEB 1835
Spouse's first name(s) William
Spouse's last name Walters
Spouse notes (Devon)
Place St Saviour
Island Jersey
Country Channel Islands
Notes (Cornwall)
MoVidger

Postby Grandma Jedi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Thankyou MoVidger for that information. I have followed that lead up but it is the wrong family unfortunately!

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:08 pm

More thanks to junkers and cider drinker, you have got us on to the right track. My friend went to Jersey and Guernsey and checked the registers at the Priaulx Library but there was no marriage for Elizabeth and Nicolas. I am now going to post a request for a Danish translation of the 1840 census and my friend is trying to contact the Danish family who are descended from the Roluf family.

Thanks for your time and expertise! :)

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Return to General research queries