Moderator Control Panel ]

58 Year old mother

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

58 Year old mother

Postby Will Mundy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:59 am

Hello,

I’m researching my x7 great grandmother Sarah Newton who appears to have been born in 1705 in Lower Winchendon, Buckinghamshire. She married John Darvill in London on the 19th April 1737. What’s strange is that she then appears to be having children when she would be 58, her daughter Sarah born in 1763, would make her very old to be having children. I checked to see if Sarah Newton had died and John remarried but I couldn’t find anything to support this. Has anybody else come across similar situations? And is it possible Sarah Newton was really 58 or did she come from elsewhere?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: 58 Year old mother

Postby junkers » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am

I think it is unlikely to have happened, did she have any children after she married?. Have you seen any actual documents on the birth.
junkers

Postby GillJones » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:36 am

I would think it more likely you have the wrong Sarah Newton, but if they had another daughter early on in their marriage and there is a long gap between their last child and Sarah's birth in 1763, then it's possible that Sarah is their illegitimate granddaughter, being passed off as their daughter - I have a similar thing on my family tree.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
GillJones

Postby Will Mundy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 am

I think I’ve solved it, the Sarah Newton in question was the wife of John Darvill but not the mother of Sarah born 1763 in Bledlow, but rather Sarah’s grandmother! Sarah’s father was John Darvill born in 1739 in Bledlow son of John and Sarah, to add to the confusion Sarah Darvills mother was also Sarah but I’m yet to find a marriage for John and Sarah junior.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Return to General research queries