Moderator Control Panel ]

Second World War Photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Second World War Photo

Postby Elin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:30 pm

This is a picture of my father and his brother at some point during the second world war. I am trying to identify the statue and where it is. I believe that they only met a couple of times during those years, one of those occasions was in India. The other was probably in Britain.
I would be very grateful if someone could help.

Elin

[image]local://103/7CF47F8AC5F44E1B9DAF7FBBF6C86ACD.jpg[/image]
Elin

RE: Second World War Photo

Postby snaphappy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:06 am

Being that both soldiers have great coats on and that the figures behind would appear to be wearing long coats I would say that this was more than likely to have been taken in the Uk rather than in India. The statue would also appear to be that of a figure of someone in armour with a sword ? raised above head height on horseback. Two such figures come to mind, one being Robert the Bruce and the other being Joan of Arc but some how I do not think that it is either The Bruce or Joan on a pony. Sorry not much help I'm afraid.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby Elin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi Snap Happy,

thank for your comments, I am sure that you are right that the photo wasn't taken in India. When you look at the photo up closely you can see that it looks like he is leaning on something that looks like a celtic cross and he could be in chain mail. I thought of a Crusader but have had no success identifying it. My father was from Liverpool but it could be anywhere.

Elin
Elin

Postby photographwit.com » Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 am

We can repair/lighten/enlarge/re-print/remove damaged areas etc etc
Go: www.photographwit.com - bring your photos back to life!!
Can supply to you on disc/print form/e-mail!!

[8|]
www.photographwit.com
photographwit.com

Return to Photo identification