Moderator Control Panel ]

Embarrassed plea for help!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Embarrassed plea for help!

Postby Norfolk Nan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:54 pm

I’ve posted this then deleted it once already but my failure to sort it myself is driving me bonkers. Can some kind soul help?

John Lee aged 12 is admitted to Westminster Union on 13 December 1876. His mother has died in the workhouse and he is being sent to a training school. Somewhere in the Westminster archive it is recorded his father steps forward and John Lee becomes John Deighton. Some time ago someone here(?) discovered this bit of info for me so I dismissed the boy from my line of research. I’d like to take a second look but can’t find that bit of info - can anyone take pity on me and help please?
Norfolk Nan

Re: Embarrassed plea for help!

Postby ciderdrinker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:45 am

Hi
The entry to a Training School is on Ancestry under London England Poor law School District records 1852-1918.
It records the info about his mother and him entering Tooting School.
Like you I can't find the info on his father.
You asked about the topic on Rootschat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809779.0

If you have another look that might help.I still can't find Charlotte's settlement exam.
It seems John's father was a Christopher Deighton who employed Charlotte.
Maybe someone else can find the record.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Norfolk Nan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you for looking, Ciderdrinker - I knew I'd asked somewhere but I couldn't find that either. I do appreciate your time.

By some luck I've just this minute found my scribbled notes so the hunt is off! I dither about keeping notes about rejected lines of research but for once I've been shown how useful it is!

Thanks again.
Norfolk Nan

Postby Norfolk Nan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:17 pm

I've just been back to Rootschat and now I'm doubly embarrassed :oops: - I'd forgotten I'd asked over there! And so much information! I've printed it off and it's added to my rejects list so the hunt for John Lee continues. Thank you yet again, Ciderdrinker
Norfolk Nan

Return to General research queries