Moderator Control Panel ]

Would SKS Do An Ancestry Lookup Please...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Would SKS Do An Ancestry Lookup Please...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Francis Major, born 1914, is inbound from either Canada or the US.

Back story for interest...
Francis and his family (wife Florence nee Matthews, late Woollhouse; children Sheila Ann 18, Anthony 15, June 11, Doreen 8) left the UK in 1953 heading for Quebec. However, there's a death record for Francis in Bath district in 1991 and he was buried in Dorset 19 March 1991. (Exact burial location not known atm, basic info culled from Deceased Online).
The three eldest children travelled under the surname Major although they were the children of Florence's first marriage to Robert Woollhouse, who was killed at Cassino in 1943.

It seems at least Anthony came back and possibly Doreen as well; there is a death record for Anthony in 2016 and a possible marriage for Doreen in 1971.

My interest in this family is that Florence Bessie Matthews (b.25 Jan 1914) is my third cousin once removed.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Would SKS Do An Ancestry Lookup Please...

Postby Templ4r » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Francis ( a Mechanic) Florence and Doreen came back from Quebec to Southampton 9 dec 1954 on the Samaria, heading for 5 Prince of Wales Ave, Reading, Berks.

The others came back under Woolhouse, same address.

In 1939 that address is his parents house. Walter and Catherine(nee Smith).
Templ4r

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:44 am

Thank for that Templ4r.
That would explain why Francis died in the UK then. So far though, I can't find any further trace of Florence - and Francis was careless enough to die without leaving a will, so no clues there...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby Templ4r » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm moving from Derby back to Fleetwood in Lancashire tomorrow, so my office is off line for a few days. I'll have another look then unless anyone else can find her.
Templ4r

Return to General research queries