Moderator Control Panel ]

POW Camp address help please

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

POW Camp address help please

Postby mbford222 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm

POW camp address.jpg
POW camp address.jpg (34.09 KiB) Viewed 196 times

This letter from a wife whose husband was a POW in WW1, gives the camp address, but I can't make some of it out. Serjt W.A. Gilbert, 13175 VIII Lincoln Regt; (looks like) Grossemuder ??; Moor Lagu??; Schneverdingen; No idea of the next word; Germany.

I have seen the files of the ICRC and I know that he was held in Soltau, Strohen and Hameln from 1915 to 1918, but this address seems different.

If anyone could fill in the missing words, I would be grateful.
Thank you,
Margaret in Ottawa
mbford222

Re: POW Camp address help please

Postby Templ4r » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 pm

If you Google Scheverdingen, there is a road called Grosenweder Weg heading north west.

Looks to me to be Grosenweger above Moor Lagu. Maybe somewhere on that road....
Templ4r

Postby MaureenE » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:25 pm

The word which you thought was Lagu is probably Lager, which is is the German word for Camp, and the word before Germany is probably a regional area or state, possibly Hanover, although I don't know if this fits geographically.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby mbford222 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Thank you for your interest, I have located Grossenwede near Schneverdingen, so that is one solved. I think you are correct about Moor Lager too. The town is in Heidekreis, but the word before Germany does look like Hanover.
Thank you all for your help.
Margaret in Ottawa
mbford222

Return to Military help