Moderator Control Panel ]

Fathers name not on a birth certificate, why?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby ColinW » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Being quite new to doing my family tree research I hope someone can answer this question for me.

I have my mums mum birth certificate but it does not show who the father was, why is this?
ColinW

Re: Fathers name not on a birth certificate, why?

Postby junkers » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:42 pm

Probably because the mother or father didn't want the father named as they were probably not married at the time. Alternatively she may not have known the name of the father.
junkers

Postby peter kent » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 am

I have my mums mum birth certificate but it does not show who the father was, why is this?

Because the parents weren't married and the father didn't turn up at the register office along with the mother.

Track the subsequent life of the mother and child. Did the mother bring up the child? Did the mother marry? What father's name was shown on the child's later marriage certificate?
peter kent

Postby ColinW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Thank you both for your information and help.
ColinW

Postby brunes08 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Sometimes the child’s name gives you a clue to the father’s name. I do not know if this is the case for your grandmother. My grandmother had an illegitimate half sister. Her birth certificate includes the father’s surname as part of her forenames although he is not named as the actual father. It is clear that he is the father because my gt grandmother went on to have a second child with the same man but he was named formally as the father on the certificate on that occasion. My gt grandmother did not marry the man because she had left my gt grandfather but he didn’t divorce her. Hope that helps a little in unravelling your problem.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Return to General research queries