Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Edwards - Death 1850s Birmingham

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Edwards - Death 1850s Birmingham

Postby Robbie J N » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Hello all.
I am trying to find out when my ancestor Mary Edwards, nee Clarence died. This is both for my records and so I can order a death cert from the GRO, if one is to be found.

Mary Clarence was born in about 1819 in Birmingham and married William Edwards in 1837 in West Bromwich. (Sometimes Clarence is written as ‘Clarance’.)
Her father was James Clarence according to her marriage cert.
Widowed husband William Edwards married Ann Jaques, nee Clark, in 1860.
Mary Edwards appeared on the census in 1841 and also in 1851.
Time period for her death is therefore 1851-60.

I have not been able to find a death record in the Birmingham area for a Mary Edwards whose age approximately matches.
Several Ancestry trees give her death as 1857, however the records they have attached are for a person with a different age, also some have the middle name Ann, so it does not match, especially if you check the same record on the GRO. (She would be approximately 38 in 1857.)
Age on 1841 census is 20.
Age on 1851 census is 32.
She had 5 children, that I have so far found, called Mary Ann, Mary Eliza, Elizabeth, William and Annie Jane (or just Ann) between 1837-45. (Mary Ann died before Mary Eliza was born.)

Can anyone help me find a death record and/or a burial record to confirm when she died?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide with regard to this.

(I know some of this, in terms of details about this family, was mentioned in a post I made a few months ago, but this question is specific to when Mary Edwards, nee Clarence, died.)
Robbie J N

Re: Mary Edwards - Death 1850s Birmingham

Postby sdup26 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm

I searched on FMP, and England Deaths and Burials 1538-1991 on www.familysearch.org but with no luck. Every time I found a possible Mary Edwards death, cross-checking it with the GRO site showed the 'wrong' age.

Not being able to find someone doesn't mean they're not out there - maybe Mary is just harder to find than most. But it may be worth considering that she left the family home, either by choice or for health reasons, and that eventually, William 'got on with things' by remarrying. Choice speaks for itself, but there's also the possibility she needed full-time care; for persistent post-natal depression for example. If so, it could be very difficult to find her on a census, as many in-patients were listed by initials only. Just a thought, but I hope I'm wrong and someone else can find her for you.
sdup26

Re: Mary Edwards - Death 1850s Birmingham

Postby Robbie J N » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:51 pm

Thank you for your efforts.
A lot of my queries seem to have no definitive answers, especially with my Birmingham ancestors.

Her daughter Ann (or Annie Jane as written in her daughter’s marriage and death records in Scotland) has no birth record to be found on the GRO, just a baptism record on Ancestry, but other siblings do. The same daughter has no marriage record to be found nor a birth or baptism record for her daughter Elizabeth Parsons, but there are for her 2 sons. I seem to be descended from all the family members in each generation who have a lot of their records missing.

I thought I might have found a good contender for Mary’s burial record as the address listed was ‘Richard Street’, which was the same as in the census, 1851 I think, but the age was 67 in 1857, nearly 30 years too old. Maybe her mother-in-law or something. I have death certificates where the age is out by up to 10 years, but never 30.

Thanks again.
Robbie J N

Return to General research queries