Moderator Control Panel ]

Change of Surname

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Change of Surname

Postby Templ4r » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 am

From Trinity house.

1815 Newcastle to London on the 'Christiana' Cook and Seaman
1817 London, England on the 'Crowley' Seaman
1821 Newcastle to London on the 'Lady Ann' Cook and Seaman
1824 Newcastle to London on the 'Darlington' Cook and Seaman
1830 Broke both right arm & left leg
1848 Pension appeal due to severe rheumatism
Templ4r

Postby avaline » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:10 pm

I'd seen those noted on an Ancestry tree but not the petition itself to verify them. Is it online somewhere?
avaline

Postby Templ4r » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Not free, from the SOG, for £12 members, otherwise £15 for a hardcopy of the microfilm. As you mentioned in a previous post.

Details if anyone wants them.

Surname BARFOOT
Forename William
Age 65
Status Wife Eleanor
Address North St
Parish South Shields
Year 1848
Series 2
Book 1
Templ4r

Postby Templ4r » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Just been looking at the newspapers.. he was a braver man than Me.. The Lady Ann, 212 tons, went to Copenhagen, Bremen a few times in the 1820's as well as coastal to London.
Templ4r

Postby avaline » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:47 pm

So are those details you added copied from the Ancestry tree then, rather than something you've actually seen?

I'm a member of the SoG so knew they had to be ordered rather than being viewable on their site, although they do have a few more online images than they used to. I'd just hoped that perhaps they were available elsewhere online that I didn't know about.
avaline

Postby Templ4r » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 pm

No, they aren't online. The tree has the 1848 reference at the end, as you saw. I put it up for information.

I'm an associate member ( on line...) as I live in Fleetwood, Lancashire so will never go to the library so not worth paying the full membership. I do find some useful information from SoG but my Ancestry, FMP, TG, Fold3 and Newspaper archive accounts cover a vast majority of what I look for. I hope the SoG puts more digital stuff online as they tend to have the rarer stuff, as you know.
Templ4r

Postby Lucretia66 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 am

Oh dear. Now I'm really confused. They also appear early as Barefoot (but that is a variation I know of Barfoot) and Beirfoot. Burnett and Bonnett? I haven't come across those ones. I was going by their children's names and ages and where they lived and other details. Are they avoiding the law for some reason? I'm afraid it's beginning to look that way to me. Many thanks for all the ideas and information.
Lucretia66

Postby Lucretia66 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:31 am

I hadn't realised there were three pages of replies. Well, my father's side are a very exciting lot, aren't they? The surprises just keep on coming.
I've been in touch with some new distant relatives recently and it's clear I'm not the only one finding it difficult to comprehend them.
I'm trying to untangle all the intermarrying over the centuries between the same families too. Some surnames (and first names and middle names) just keep popping up. And there are some very unusual ones.
I think I'll have to print all of this out and mull over it a little - or maybe a lot! I'm more confused than ever but some information is new to me.
Thanks again for all your help.
Lucretia66

Previous

Return to General research queries