Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

Remembrance Day

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Contrary to what has been said on the home page of the WDYTYA Magazine website, Sunday 10 November is not Remembrance Day but Remembrance Sunday, Remembrance Day has always been on the 11th November.

Re: Remembrance Day

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Absolutely! Another example of sloppy journalis/proofreading/research. Perhaps it's my age but I'm finding I'm getting more and more irritated by the sloppyness of so many articles. news reports etc.

And another thing - am I the only person who seems to think there are considerably fewer people wearing poppies this year?

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 pm

As far as wearing of poppies goes, I find they fall off before the 11th, but there are a few more days and I will get mine tomorrow. Of course there is no requirement to wear one, we thankfully have (mostly) a free country.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:48 am

I've pinned my poppy on with a safety pin this year and so far have managed to keep it.

I do find it a bit of a cleft stick though as I'm not happy about the huge waste there is with them. I'm glad to see that the RBL stand I collected mine from had a large number of knitted poppies as well land the small metal ones available. I got a metal one as well as I have a set of those from when they were originally introduced about 7 or 8 years ago.

My dog is also sporting a beautiful purple poppy on his collar which was available from Murphy's Army charity to remember all the animals lost in conflicts.
Post a reply