Moderator Control Panel ]

World War I Photo - Suggestions Sought

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

World War I Photo - Suggestions Sought

Postby eurogordi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:36 pm

While researching my wife's family, I have discovered this photograph of three World War I soldiers.

The identify of one of these is known, but not the other two.

Therefore, I'm hoping other genealogists may be willing to give me their responses to the following questions:

1. How many years difference in age is there likely to be between the three men (assuming they may be brothers)?

2. Can anyone identify the uniforms, regiments and ranks?

Any ideas and suggestions can be matched against what is already known which might bring me closer to identifying the other two.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Army Photo.jpg
Army Photo.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 401 times
eurogordi

Re: World War I Photo - Suggestions Sought

Postby Jethro Tull » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi,

The collar badges for the chap sitting on the left, to me, look like one of the Irish regiments. Perhaps. It does look harp like. The pic is not too clear on my phone to give more specific than that. I think the chevron on his left arm is for good conduct. I cannot make out the chaps badges on the right from this image I'm afraid, there are quite a few that have this sort of shape. The R.A.M.C, the 2nd Life Guards, the Royal Horse Guards etc.

Cheers

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Jethro Tull wrote:... look like one of the Irish regiments. Perhaps. It does look harp like ...

Well, I'm looking at it on my PC and I do think you could be right about the harp. I agree about the Long Service & Good Conduct stripe (the inverted chevron) - I have one book that says a single stripe is earned after 2y. I'm also wondering if there's a trade badge over the top of the LSGC chevron, possibly the crossed flags for a signaller?

Apart from those 2 collar badges, the stripe and the trade badge, those uniforms are as basic as possible, I think. No badges of rank, implying they are just privates.

The only other thing to mention is that the chap in the middle (could he be the father of the one on the left?) is wearing an economy pattern uniform - no pleats to his pocket and no reinforcing patches on the shoulder. But how long those were issued for, I've no idea.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:23 am

That's a good spot Adrian on the trade badge, I didn't see that one at all at first look on my phone.

The economy pattern uniform certainly would date this image later in the war.

Eurogordi, is there any chance of a higher res image to see if the trade badge and other collar badges are clearer at all?

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Return to Photo identification