Moderator Control Panel ]

Inquest of death

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Inquest of death

Postby Will Mundy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 am

Hello,
My x3 great grandfather Joseph Johnson (1841 - 1870) died as a young father in March 1870 in Aston near Bampton in Oxfordshire. On his death certificate it says a burst blood vessel as cause of death. He presumably died whilst working in the fields, his occupation was a shepherd. On his death certificate it also says there was an inquest to his death, I was wondering where I might be able to find a copy to this inquest?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Inquest of death

Postby Templ4r » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:04 am

I found one report in the newspapers for the inquest in my great grandfathers death after being run over by a railway wagon in 1918. It was in a Lincolnshire paper even though it happened at Asfordby, Leicesteshire. They are often reported on and usually held in a Pub.

I've had a quick look at the newspapers but nothing, I'll try again with different wording as the OCR doesn't always pick up on the right words.

Otherwise, it's get in touch with the coroners office for the area, but from my understanding, they didn't keep the records, but is worth a letter/e mail.
Templ4r

Postby peter kent » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:19 am

I was wondering where I might be able to find a copy to this inquest?

Survival rate of the records is patchy to say the least but the likeliest place to try is the county record office. I think I read on their website that coroners' records have not been fully catalogued.

Coroners’ records were regarded as the personal property of the coroner and on the death of a coroner records were liable to be destroyed. From 1921 the Public Record Office required all surviving records dating from before 1875 to be retained permanently, but advised that more recent records need only be kept for 15 years.

Local newspapers are a better bet.
peter kent

Postby phsvm » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:11 am

Will - you may have these but his death is listed in the death announcements in the Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette of 12 March 1870 and the Oxfordshire Weekly News of 16 March 1870.

No details I'm afraid but just a couple of mentions of him.
phsvm

Return to General research queries