Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Puzzling heirloom

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Please does anybody have any idea what this large cup and saucer may have been presented for?

To date the only contender that I have in my tree was born in 1870 . This seems a very strange object to present to a five year old child.

My Scott ancestors are from the Brereton/Rugeley area of Staffordshire.

The cup and saucer have have a chalky feel with a very poor glaze. The cup is approximately 4 inches high, approximately 2.5 inches in diameter at the base and 4.5 inches in diameter at the top. The saucer is 8 inches in diameter.

There is no apparent makers mark on the base of either cup or saucer but on close scrutiny there are two very small indentations about one eighth of an inch in diameter
Attachments
pink cup.jpg
pink cup.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 646 times

Re: Puzzling heirloom

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:53 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is that it's something to mark either baptism or starting school.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:54 pm

I saw a similar one dated 1867 to Miss Baker Sale in a quick look on the internet. I suspect there was a business venture doing these bespoke cups and saucers.

An antique expert might be a good starting point as they may be able to tell you more and I suspect the marks underneath would be important them.

Is there any antique identification forum that anyone knows off?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Thank you for the ideas.
It's interesting that Cachalot has found something similar on the internet but it still seems to be a strange object to give to a young child especially as it is so large
Post a reply