Moderator Control Panel ]

Hannah Dancey - 1719 Turkdean, Gloucestershire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Hannah Dancey - 1719 Turkdean, Gloucestershire

Postby Templ4r » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am

Names were written how someone heard it.

I've got a Derbyshire accent but live at Fleetwood Lancashire. Alfreton near Derby is pronounced Offen by the locals.
If someone has made their mark, then they usually can say their name, not spell it, so the person writing the register will put it phonetically or how they hear it.

Lateral thinking usually works.
Templ4r

Postby Robbie J N » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:05 am

Pronunciation varies a lot. One of Hannah’s descendants (if all my research is correct leading up to Hannah) married an Elizabeth Byrch (in 1831), whose baptism said Elizabeth Birch (1806), and whose mother’s baptism said Sabina Burge (1781).
Obviously the ‘y’ and ‘i’ versions were just spelling differences, but the ‘Burge’ variation was pronunciation.
The most recent spellings are the ones I tend to go with, as those are the ones that the people could actually spell and write down as their own names for themselves, not what others thought they were. Literacy improves with each generation, usually.

Another thing on all those hundreds of trees, they give Samuel’s mother’s name as ‘Lady Rebecka Of Marlbourough’, again not a single record to confirm it. Whether that has any validity or not is a mystery. Perhaps people trying to sound a bit posh and descended from nobility.

For the moment I will add Hester’s surname as Stephenson and continue my research.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Robbie J N on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie J N

Postby avaline » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:42 am

Templ4r wrote:
The one thing a lot of the trees do make a mistake on is the place of birth of Hester, which Avaline has found, so all those trees are wrong.

Just to clarify, the marriage licence doesn't give Hester's birth place, just where she was resident at the time. They may be the same, but not necessarily.
avaline

Postby CliveDancey » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi there,

Apologies if this is all done and dusted however I only discovered this link today.

Whilst I may not apply the rigorous standards of those in this thread, I can prove to a reasonable standard that I am descended from Samuel Dancey born in Turkdean in 1713 and through him to Samuel and Hester Dancey. Given the low population of Turkdean (150-250 people at that time, from memory),and the low incidence of the surname, I think on the balance of probability they are a good fit.

Jack and Joan Dancey did a lot of pre-internet age research on this family and provided me with a copy of the marriage allegation for Samuel/Hester. They also recorded the John/Samuel discrepancy and attributed the John to the PR rather than BT, so possibly it was visible at the point in time in the PR - who knows? Alas Joan and Jack are no longer with us.

Again with association and therefore probability not proof, they believed Samuel was the son of John and Rebecca Dancey/Dansey/Dauncey of Kingscote based on DoB and presumably the fact that that this Samuel had a brother, Joseph. Kingscote is also near to Uley/Wootton which appears to be the epicentre of the Dancey/Dauncey surname in the 17th century.

I believe the IGI incorrectly records Hester as being baptised in Winchcombe on 11 Dev 1681 whereas through online inspection no such record exists. There is an entry for 21 November 1685.

As observed there are a number of trees which make other attributions but I believe these to be less credibility. Similarly I have not seen any substance to the Lady Rebecca attribution.

As to the variants in spelling, whilst I pronounce the surname with a short A, my children use a Long A and if one were speaking with a Gloucestershire burr, it would be easy to hear Dauncey. There is a tale in my family that the U was omitted as a spelling error on sacks resulting in a discount, with the recipient saying they would dispense with the U if it made the sacks as cheap in the future.

My current aim is to unearth any land records which may indicate a link between Kingscote and Turkdean.

Thanks
Clive
CliveDancey

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Have you got an opinion on John bap 15 March 1709/10, Northleach (right by Turkdean)?
BT
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... STH-P?i=90
Attachments
John ye Son of Samuel.JPG
John ye Son of Samuel.JPG (56.63 KiB) Viewed 63 times
ianbee

Postby Robbie J N » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 pm

To Clive:
Thanks for adding to the information. Good to know that I went with the correct (current) spelling of the surname, and not the many variations I have seen on the various documents on Ancestry.

For some reason I made a mistake a couple of years ago with my research, and mixed up 2 different Hannah Danceys, both with fathers’ name Samuel, one born in 1719 in Turkdean with mother Hester, the right one, and the other in 1737 in Uley with mother Mary, the wrong one. They are probably related, but not aunty/niece.

The Dancey surname is quite far removed from me, my Dad’s Mum’s Dad’s Mum’s Dad’s Mum’s Mum’s Mum was Hannah Dancey. My family always knew the names up to 5 generations back (Hannah’s great-grandson), but the 6th and beyond have only been researched in the last few years.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped with expanding the details on this particular family.
Robbie J N

Previous

Return to General research queries