Moderator Control Panel ]

Women in Service

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Women in Service

Postby Will Mundy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Good afternoon,

Having researched my great great grandmother Emily Herbert born 1862 in Greenfield Oxon. I discovered she was in service in her 20s and 30s, but noticed after she was in service she had the name Ann added becoming Ann Emily Herbert. I was wondering if anybody knew why that might be the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Will Mundy

Re: Women in Service

Postby phsvm » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:37 pm

No idea but could another, perhaps more senior member, of the household have the same name so to avoid confusion she was referred to by a different name?

I'll amend that! Is she the Emily Herbert, parents Rebecca and David living in George Street in Oxford? If so her baptism lists her as Emily Ann so maybe my first comment is still a possible but she was known by her second name.
phsvm

Postby Will Mundy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm

She was the daughter of Joseph and Ann, in the 1881 and 1891 census she is in service. In 1891 she was working in Surrey and this is where she has Ann added. I have heard some women in service were called different names for various reason by their masters so is possible it was that

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Postby peter kent » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am

She was the daughter of Joseph and Ann,

Is she not the Emily Herbert, daughter of Eliza Herbert of Greenfield baptised at Watlington on 4 Jan 1862?
peter kent

Postby Will Mundy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Unfortunately not, I did think she might be but turned out that Emily was base born and took her on her mothers married name

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Return to General research queries