Moderator Control Panel ]

Long Lost Family - The Unknown Soldiers - Monday 21 Oct

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Long Lost Family - The Unknown Soldiers - Monday 21 Oct

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:38 am

Not a query but just a heads up to a programme that's on tomorrow that may interest anyone with an interest in WW1 soldiers. I've posted here because I don't think many people look on the TV section of the forum.

Monday 21st October 9pm - 10.20pm on ITV

Long Lost Family Special - The Unknown Soldiers

Davina McCall and Nickey Campbell follow an elite all-female team at the Ministry of Defence known as the 'War Detectives', who are tasked with locating the final resting places of 500,000 service personnel killed during WW1 with no known graves. War maps, diaries, medical and service records, as well as DNA and forensic testing are used to try to identify three WW1 soldiers after their bodies are found in a French garden. Can they finally gain closure?
phsvm

Re: Long Lost Family - The Unknown Soldiers - Monday 21 Oct

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Thanks phsvn,
I have a relative with no known grave and will be very interested in the programme.
Grace. :)
Amazinggrace

Postby junkers » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 pm

phsvm wrote:Not a query but just a heads up to a programme that's on tomorrow that may interest anyone with an interest in WW1 soldiers. I've posted here because I don't think many people look on the TV section of the forum.

Monday 21st October 9pm - 10.20pm on ITV

Long Lost Family Special - The Unknown Soldiers

Davina McCall and Nickey Campbell follow an elite all-female team at the Ministry of Defence known as the 'War Detectives', who are tasked with locating the final resting places of 500,000 service personnel killed during WW1 with no known graves. War maps, diaries, medical and service records, as well as DNA and forensic testing are used to try to identify three WW1 soldiers after their bodies are found in a French garden. Can they finally gain closure?

Why does it matter that it is an elite all-female team, sounds a bit sexist to me. The investigation only goes to show that Government/MOD should keep files and not destroy them!.
junkers

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Watched the programme last night on catch up.What a fantastic job these people are doing.
There will be a large amount of people like me who have relatives with no known grave,in my case it's
my grandads brother.More power to their elbow.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to Military help