Moderator Control Panel ]

James Gore and Emily Aves - marriage and deaths

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

James Gore and Emily Aves - marriage and deaths

Postby phsvm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 am

Wilfred Edgar Gore was born to James Gore (b. c1854) and Emily Aves (b. 1856) in Kentish Town in 1895. The family are together, along with other children in 1901. By 1911, Emily is listed as a widow living in Kentish Town. She states she had been married for 33 years, giving a year of marriage as 1878

My problems:
1 I can't find a marriage for James and Emily.
2. I can't find a death for James - there are a few James Gores in the same area born around the same time and I've had trouble identifying which is the correct James prior to his 'marriage'.
3. I can't find a death for Emily.

Can anyone have better luck than me?
phsvm

Re: James Gore and Emily Aves - marriage and deaths

Postby avaline » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:16 pm

I don't see a marriage either, but as his brother William is with James & Emily in 1881 then in 1871 James is probably the one at Stamford Street, Lambeth with parents William & Harriett and various siblings, including William. His age and occupation also fit.
avaline

Postby phsvm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks - that's potentially got me back another generation.
phsvm

Postby avaline » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:32 pm

I may be wrong, but his birth may wrongly have been registered as Jane!

William Gore, Carpenter, married Harriett Garrod, 1851, St Giles in the Field. Her father was Frederick, which was also the name of their first son:

GORE, FREDERICK mmn GARROD GRO Ref: 1851 J Quarter in SAINT PANCRAS Volume 01 Page 407
GORE, WILLIAM mmn GARROD GRO Ref: 1853 M Quarter in SAINT PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 51

James should come next, and then Ellen, Thomas & Luke, but the only entry I can see (but with no matching death) is this one, listed as female:

GORE, JANE mmn GARROD GRO Ref: 1854 M Quarter in SAINT PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 50

followed by
GORE, ELLEN mmn GARROD GRO Ref: 1856 M Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 01D Page 260
GORE, THOMAS mmn GARROD GRO Ref: 1859 M Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 01D Page 268
GORE, LUKE GEORGE mmn GARROD GRO Ref: 1860 S Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 01D Page 238

Both FreeBMD and the GRO has the birth as Jane, so it doesn't seem to be a transcription error.

ADDED: Frederick, William, James & Ellen were all baptised together on 4 Jan 1857. James' DoB is given as 21 Feb 1854, so fits the birth registration for 'Jane'.
Last edited by avaline on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avaline

Postby MoVidger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Wilfred's 1914 attestation records indicate his mother's address was 13 Mossfield (?) Road, Gospel Oak, London NW. So she was still alive by 1914.
MoVidger

Postby GillJones » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm

I too think that James is the son of William & Harriet, especially as William is a Carpenter & Builder, which seems to run in the family. James appears on the 1861 Census, living in Lambeth with William, Harriet and 5 siblings. On 4 Jan 1857, William & Harriet have 4 of their children baptised at St.John the Evangelist, Lambeth and their birth dates are given. James date of birth is given as 21 Feb 1854. I have found the corresponding Civil Registration Indexes for the other children, but the only James Gore I could find for the Jan-Mar Qtr of 1854 is in Wigan, Lancashire. The only vague connection for that could be that William Gore was born in Lancashire and maybe James was born while his parents were on a visit to relatives!
I also couldn't find a death for Emily Gore, but is it possible she married again after the death of James?

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
GillJones

Postby avaline » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:59 pm

The only death I can find is James Henry Gore Q1 1911, St Pancras, aged 53. The age and location match with the 1901 census, but the burial details are only on Deceased Online, and I don't have any credits.

A James Henry Gore was born Thanet RD, Kent in 1854, but he seems to be in the 1911 census in Kent, aged 56 and with wife Sarah Elizabeth. His PoB is given as Broadstairs, Kent, which was in the Thanet RD.
avaline

Postby phsvm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:16 pm

I'd seen the births registered in St Pancras for Gore - Garrod and not made the connection as James being Jane. It just shows what a fresh pair of eyes can do!

I'd looked at the James Henry Gore but rejected him after a bit of reserach.

I found 2 possible remarriages for Emily - one as Emily Gore in Wandsworth in 1915 to Robert Perrin and the other as Emily Aves in St Georges Hanover Square 1916 to a Samuel Bates but I can't make either of those into anything.
phsvm

Postby avaline » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 pm

phsvm wrote:I'd looked at the James Henry Gore but rejected him after a bit of reserach.

Are you able to share the basis on which you rejected this death? I couldn't find anyone to match other than the chap still alive in Kent in 1911 and had noticed that 'your' James had a son named Henry James, so thought it was perhaps possible that an incorrect assumption had been made by whoever registered the death.

You may well be right, but I hate loose ends!
avaline

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:37 am

I couldn't find any reference to my James with a middle name and there were plenty of references to a James HENRY Gore.

When I looked at the only James Henry with a birth around the correct time there were too many Kent connections. His birth was registered, as you say in Thanet in Sept Q 1855 with parents Gore and Gearing. There's a George Gore- Elizabeth Gearing marriage registered in Thanet in Dec 1854. I didn't actualy go much further than that as it just didn't 'feel' right

However, looking at it again that James Henry was with his family In 1861 in St Nicholas at Wade, Kent and in 1871 there's a James H Gore living in Thanet with his wife, Sarah. His birth year is given as 1856 and birth place Broadstairs which is in the Thanet Registration District. The famiy are in Faversham in 1891. His death appears to be registered in Kent in 1931.

Which doesn't solve the question of who the 1911 death is!

The James H Gore death regstered in Pancras in 1911 also has a birth year of 1858 so not quite right.

My main feeling was that I just couldn't understand why he would be buried as JAMES HENRY when there were absolutely no other references to him having any middle name, let alone Henry.

Does any one have a sub for deceased on line?

I have just found a tree on Ancestry which shows the 1910 death as the correct one and states a cause of death. There are a few 'funnies' on the tree but I do wonder where the cause of death came from if the tree owner hasn't seen a death certificate and if they have why they would include him on the tree if it wasn't the correct individual.
phsvm

Next

Return to General research queries