Moderator Control Panel ]

Do You Put Them Right?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Do You Put Them Right?

Postby ksouthall » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I have sent messages to people if they have made a mistake with a close relative in their family tree. Often, these are ignored but sometimes they have responded.

One only acknowledged my comment when I sent them the details after I researched the correct family for them and sent them the details.

Another person won a competition on the History Channel claiming my ancestor in their family tree although the History Channel mysteriously removed the story from their website after I contacted them and explained the mistake.
ksouthall

Postby Norfolk Nan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I've been doing this for a very long time so don't look at trees as a short cut. However, I look sometimes out of curiosity and well, you never know, what you might find. I did recently trip over a family connection that was both accurate and genuine, much to my delight. Now we both know who the 'mystery chap' in the photograph from the 1930s was.

The majority of the mistaken connections to my family tree are side-shoots to the main line for the researcher and that's always obvious. In my early days I was intent on populating my meagre tree as quickly as possible and didn't really care who these people were but I've done some lopping of unsafe branches myself now and try to hold on to the idea of quality rather than quantity. If the mistake is a couple of generations away I tend to ignore it but not if it relates to people I actually knew. Call it a matter of honour. I'll email but rarely get a reply, there's not much you can do beyond that.
Norfolk Nan

Postby phsvm » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:55 am

After trying once to advise someone that their tree couldn't possibly be correct because they had MY great grandmother dead a number of years before her daughter MY grandmother was born - you only had to do the maths to see it couldn't possibly be correct - and having an extremely rude reply I don't bother any more.

I can live with that. It's their problem not mine but what does concern me more is the Imperial War Museum's Lives of the First World War website where individuals have been able to add details, supposedly as long as they produced evidence for the information they were adding.

For the past 4 years have been meticulously researching a number of WW1 soldiers. Some have the same names as perhaps 5, 6 or even more others and many are from the same area/town/village
With all the interest there has been in WW1 over the past few years it isn't surprising that individuals with no experience or understanding of genealogical research have been accessing the site and adding their bits of innformation. Unfortunately, the person they have added the information to may well not be the correct individual. I've seen some real howlers. Sadly, the individual adding the infomation may well think their relative had a completely different war from the one they actually experienced.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:43 am

Oh dear. If you've seen howlers, then that's despite the complex and unusual method they had for adding sources. I think that I entered a handful, no more, before I thought that this wasn't fun - particularly when you were adding sources from outside the IWM system.

It goes to show what's been said in various places - people, especially perhaps semi professional American genealogists, go on and on about sources, while skating over the really crucial bit, which is, how do I know that this Jack Griffiths in this source, is the Jack Griffiths that's in my database? And it doesn't matter how many sources you have, if they refer to someone else, they're useless.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Templ4r » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:59 pm

A lot of very bad mistakes that just get copied, sadly. You have to let them get on with it.

I contacted 3 people who had my Grandfather married twice, which he wasn't. I pointed out their error, one thanked me (a descendant of my great grandfathers brother so I now have his line), 2 told me I was wrong.

But what do I know, I only knew him from 1957 when I was born until he died holding my hand in 1988..

One reason I don't put my tree online. If people want to know anything, I'll gladly share with them.
Templ4r

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Isn't it irritating though! I recently shared a tree (and some photos and other information) with a second cousin and I see the mistakes in her online tree are still there. I guess it really isn't important in the scheme of things but it niggles :oops: :evil:
Norfolk Nan

Postby MysticDave » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 am

Best left alone unless you have a lot of evidence to back it up. My mother was an Elliott and there were stories of links to the famous Scottish reiver family. In fact, she came from south England and further back from northern France. There are many Yanks convinced that they come from the Scottish line, but actually share the southern English marker - you try telling them that!
MysticDave

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat