Moderator Control Panel ]

Desperate ITV prog - Ant & Dec

From Heir Hunters to Wartime Farm, this is the place to discuss other genealogy and history programmes

Desperate ITV prog - Ant & Dec

Postby MysticDave » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 pm

There is an ITV press announcement on itv.com dated 2nd Oct 2019 about Ant & Dec’s DNA “journey” - gets round copyright issues, I suppose! They are going back up the Y and mitochondrial direct lines, but happen to get help from genealogists along the way. :lol:
MysticDave

Re: Desperate ITV prog - Ant & Dec

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am

From the press reports I've read I was under the impression that their 'journeys' were going to be based around what can be found using DNA, not documentary evidence. As Ancestry sponsor other programmes on commercial stations and pushing their DNA packages it doesn't surprise me at all that ITV have made this.

As someone who has yet to dip their toe into using DNA to further research I, for one, will be watching it with interst (even if I'm not a big fan of the individuals involved).
phsvm

Postby MysticDave » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:21 am

It is worth doing it, but from my experience, the signals are stronger in some cases than the relationship actually is. I have a supposed 2nd cousin once removed in Wales, where I have no immediate ancestry. Turns out we are related, but we are talking 4th and 5th cousin.

I thought Ant and Dec was genial TV, but I suspect someone looked into their ancestry and discovered they were both descended from agricultural labourers in NW Ireland and thus a kind of Michael Parkinson no-go for WDYTYA. It was interesting that they used DNA to see way back, but there was no real explanation of the migration patterns involved. The current rellies are just a tribe with common ancestry and being Irish, there will be big families involved.

The whole thing was really only worth an hour.
MysticDave

Postby pollymac » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 am

If watching the programme encourages more people to do a DNA test, I will be pleased. Especially if they are on the other side of my brick wall!
pollymac

Postby JaneyH » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am

I haven’t watched the programme yet but I’ve been following commentary about it with interest. I understand that one of the ‘experts’ featured has been widely discredited in recent years.

There’s a good piece in today’s Guardian newspaper by the geneticist Adam Rutherford, and the highly acclaimed genetic genealogist Debbie Kennett has written a similar feature on Twitter. See https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... onnections

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby MysticDave » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 pm

The silliest bit was the claim that these two are related through a Viking warrior dated 790 AD found in Dublin - you only have to calculate 2 to the power of 40 (min number of generations) to see this. I have a g-g-granny from Dublin, through whom we probably get the blue-grey eyes in the family, so we probably have this S660 marker. However, we get roughly 50% of our make-up from each parent, so about 50% is either lost or goes dormant, so it is chance whether you have a specific marker (I didn’t get the eyes). On MyHeritage, I regularly get Norwegian distant cousins popping up, but that line must have diverged over a thousand years ago - although Dave Bloodaxe is a good moniker for 4% or so of me.
MysticDave

Postby JaneyH » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 am

The Viking segment has been comprehensively trashed on the genetic genealogy forums that I’ve read in the last couple of days.

University College London even established a website to debunk the stuff from the Moffat chap.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Just watched the two programmes this morning and a found them good entertainment.

Unfortunately I have many doubts about the accuracy of the many assumptions from the very first we share 50% of our DNA from our mother and 50% of our DNA from our father; we don't.
Those figures are just rough percentages and vary from person to person.

That tells me the forthcoming programs will not be scientifically accurate but instead will be angled to make good TV. That does not mean the assumptions are wrong but simply that they are open to question, as all family history research is.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby junkers » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:28 pm

I gave up after the first episode, especially after it was found that there was one DNA marker. Of course looking in telephone directories and walking around graveyards is very DNA, isn't it!. I was taken aback when Ant and Dec talked about Texas being in Dallas, it is of course the other way around. DNA is very much in the vogue these days but it is genealogy not family history, it won't get you 'meat on the bones' as we used to say.
junkers

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:22 pm

junkers wrote:I gave up after the first episode, especially after it was found that there was one DNA marker. Of course looking in telephone directories and walking around graveyards is very DNA, isn't it!. I was taken aback when Ant and Dec talked about Texas being in Dallas, it is of course the other way around. DNA is very much in the vogue these days but it is genealogy not family history, it won't get you 'meat on the bones' as we used to say.

I certainly got Ant & Dec plenty of meat on the bones though in their case in the literal sense. ;)
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to Other TV and radio programmes