Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing burial image

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing burial image

Postby SDV » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I have just found a record on FMP, a burial dated 12 Sep 1794 in Tottenham on the Greater London Burial Index, a burial evidently ordered by the church warden. Yet I can't seem to find an image of this burial on either Ancestry or Family Search, needless to say the record on FMP is simply a transcript. As far as I am aware, the only church in Tottenham at this time was All Hallows.

I would really like to see an image of this record.
SDV

Re: Missing burial image

Postby MoVidger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm

I'm not sure if Ancestry's records cover London burial dates prior to 1800, with the exception of the first set:

London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
England & Scotland, Select Cemetery Registers, 1800-2016
London, England, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Registers, 1841-1966
London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-2003

According to FMP, the Greater London Burial Index records provide the details found in the original parish register. The Greater London Burial Index is a collection of the Middlesex Burials & Memorial Inscriptions, South London Burials Index 1545-1905, City of London Burials 1754-1855 and Middlesex Burials 1538-1992.

If it helps, FMP has the Greater London Burial Index parish list, featuring years covered and number of records:
https://www.findmypast.com/articles/gre ... rish-lists
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:27 pm

The notes mentioning "burial ordered by churchwarden" could have something to do with the whether or not the person (or their family) was a resident in the Parish at the time of burial. If he/she was a resident, but died out of it, I think the Churchwarden could order the burial regardless. But don't quote me. There appear to be a lot of rules regarding the burial of non-parishioners in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm having to guess that this is the one, but on Ancestry, in London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, for Tottenham, there is this:
Esther Dan
3y (and a half??)
12 Sept 1794
Haringey, All Hallows, Tottenham

1. It's marked up as CW - whether this is "Church Warden" or "Charles Wilson" or ... I shall leave to any Tottenham colleagues.

2. It's actually clearly a abbreviation for her surname as it's "Dan'l" - Daniel?

This is image 161 of 200 for the file Haringey / All Hallows, Tottenham / 1754-1912
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SDV » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

Many thanks - not easy to spot the entry even when you know where to look!

I'm not sure about the church warden intervention. Early baptisms for this family were in All Hallows in Tottenham, but later the family appears to have shifted to neighbouring Southgate, using All Saints in Edmonton and Weld Chapel in Southgate.

Esther Daniel(s) was baptised at All Hallows in 1791 and apparently buried there in 1794. Her sister Mary was baptised in Weld Chapel in 1796 and her other sister Sarah at All Saints in 1799. Mary was also buried at All Hallows in 1801.

The interesting missing baptism is of William DANIEL(S), who was born in c1794. I would particularly like to find his baptism, as he was my 3x GGF. I have looked in the records of all three of the above churches without success, though he could well be there hidden. by transcription mistakes. If anybody with better search skills than I could find his baptism I would be very grateful
SDV

Return to General research queries