Moderator Control Panel ]

Trial/Prison Records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Trial/Prison Records

Postby GillJones » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:58 pm

I have been trying for over 20 years to find out why my Grandfather, Alexander Lorenzo Probin (born 1884 in Lambeth, London) changed his name to Harry Thomas Probin (taking his younger brother's name) when he joined the Royal Marines in 1906 and kept the alias, even when he married in 1919. He appears on the 1891 Census as Alexander, but I have never been able to find him on the 1901 Census under either name. By 1895 the family were living in Islington. By all accounts he led an exemplary adult life, but recently records have appeared on Ancestry, with Alexander, aged 13, spending a week in Islington Workhouse, sent there on remand by a Magistrate on 10 Nov 1897 and then taken from the workhouse by the Police on 17 Nov. I have read that children in trouble with the law would sometimes be put in the workhouse on remand while awaiting trial. I'm guessing that in 1901 he was 'inside' and that's why I couldn't find him!
Do any records exist for trials or prison records in Islington/London at that time? I live too far away from London to search through physical records.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
GillJones

Re: Trial/Prison Records

Postby avaline » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't immediately see any prison records, but this newspaper clipping looks like its him. I'll see if I can find anything more.

ADDED: Sorry, I should have said, this was from 11 November 1897 edition of the Islington Gazette, under the heading Clerkenwell Police.
Attachments
Probin.JPG
Probin.JPG (40.73 KiB) Viewed 836 times
avaline

Postby GillJones » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:11 pm

That's amazing! Thank you so much! Any further information would be greatly appreciated.
My mother, Alexander's daughter, used to say he was a lovely man and really strict, but fair with his children - he obviously learnt his lesson!!

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
GillJones

Postby junkers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Any magistrates' court records will be (if they exist) at the London Metropolitan Archives, at the time the courts were called police courts. As to which prison he might have been in then any in Middlesex/London would be the answer. If he appeared at a higher court (e.g. the assize court) then there should be a record of him in the Calendars of Prisoners (series HO 140) at The National Archives, Kew. You send an Freedom of Information request for 1899 to them for the Middlesex/London areas. The reason he changed his name when he joined the Royal Marines would/could be that is a question on enrolment in the armed services about any criminal convictions.
junkers

Postby GillJones » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks for the info. I always assumed he had done something wrong to warrant the change of name before he joined the Marines - it's great to find out what it was after all this time!

GillJones

Return to General research queries