Moderator Control Panel ]

Cuthbert Sparrowhawk Will

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Cuthbert Sparrowhawk Will

Postby Will Mundy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:28 pm

IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 404 times

Good evening,

I was wondering if anybody could help me translate this Will from 1599 from my 12th great grandfather. The Sparrowhawk name is quite notorious still in the Oxfordshire area so would be interesting to see if this early Will shows any shocks.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Will Mundy

Re: Cuthbert Sparrowhawk Will

Postby junkers » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:24 pm

This is what I think it says, I have left out the money stated, it is in pounds and pence, but I am not the good at deciphering them:-
In the name of God in the sound way of mind and in the year of our Lord 1599 [I] Cuthbert Sparrowhawke of … in the … of sick Witney beinge sick in body, But in good and …. remembrance thank be to god, do make this last will and testament in manner and sound following first I bequest my …. To almighty god my body to be buried in the churchyard of Witney, Imprimis I give to my daughter Jane at first date of marriage of xvij xi … Item to give to my sone Richard … at the age of 21 and Jacob ibis my sone give various …. at the age of …. to be paid at the date of my departure, item I give to my sone John …. at the age of 21 years our, to be paid at my departure, item I give to my son William …. at the age of 21 years, our …. at my departure, I give to those, by me and therefore …….. I give to .. me being state of my house at Velleyend ne.. Randins during her ostake at the four equal noquetor she shall … the same quit he orders her for her to pay xl. for the same … , item I give to my … … bushells of barley, … of bushells of …, items my debts …, I .. … to John Bovinaby of Witney, ……… item to Henry Ffit…. of Haylie ….. Item to William ….. of Haylie, …………., item to Robt Clunes of Haylie, item I make my sone Thomas my whole executor, item I do appoint to be my ……. Henry Ffito..et and Roger Novaririge, item I give to ……………. Then signatures.

Hope it helps.
junkers

Return to General research queries