Moderator Control Panel ]

WWII National Registration Number?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

WWII National Registration Number?

Postby wecanbeheroes » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 pm

A very quick question - is there anywhere online I can find my Granddad's WW2 National Registration Number? I need it to apply for his Home Guard service record.

Many thanks
wecanbeheroes

Re: WWII National Registration Number?

Postby avaline » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 am

I don't know the answer but the forms say that this is not a mandatory field, so it isn't required.

EDIT: I've just checked my uncles Home Guard record, and a number is written on, which may (or may not!) be his National Registration Number.

He's redacted from the 1939 register, but based on other family members and his position on the schedule the number seems to be the 4-letter code from the top of the page, followed by the Schedule Number and then the Sub Number, eg ABCD 234/1
avaline

Re: WWII National Registration Number?

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:27 am

They can definitely find Home Guard records as I recently applied for a service medal for my Dad. I was fairly certain that he wasn't entitled but just in case.... Their response was that no he wasn't entitled but in support of that they did tell me the number of qualifying days he was in the Home Guard - so they must have consulted his Home Guard service record. I didn't supply his Registration Number.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries