Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:26 am

I've been able to obtain the inquest documents for my ancestor Frances Louisa Slade who died in Evelina Children's Hospital June 4th 1890. I've been able to transcribe most of it but I'm struggling with some medical terms.
Frances Louisa Slade - INQUEST JUNE 9 1890 - deciphering.jpg
Frances Louisa Slade - INQUEST JUNE 9 1890 - deciphering.jpg (453.92 KiB) Viewed 693 times


So far I have:

"I was helping Mr Lucas and the operation was completed. The chloroform had been discontinued for about 5 minutes, when she suddenly got pale and pulseless with dilated pupils and then she stopped breathing.
Artificial respiration was applied ?????? to the heart hypo??????? uyeclous? of ??????? over the heart uyeclous? of ?????? per ?????? This treatment was kept on for 3 quarters of an hour but without effect.
I have made a post-mortem examination
Brain(crossed out) Body generally somewhat ??????? muscles flabby and pale.
Air passages free"

It's just those few words! I've tried guessing at the spellings of some and Googling them but without much success.

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 am

wecanbeheroes wrote:Artificial respiration was applied ?????? to the heart hypo??????? uyeclous? of ??????? over the heart uyeclous? of ?????? per ??????

I'm the world's worst transcriber, with no medical knowledge, but I'll have a go (expert help will arrive soon, I'm sure)

battery to the heart. hypodermic injections of brandy over the heart. injections of brandy per rectum

wecanbeheroes wrote:generally somewhat ??????? muscles flabby and pale.

No idea, google can't help with that!

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 pm

ianbee wrote:
wecanbeheroes wrote:Artificial respiration was applied ?????? to the heart hypo??????? uyeclous? of ??????? over the heart uyeclous? of ?????? per ??????

I'm the world's worst transcriber, with no medical knowledge, but I'll have a go (expert help will arrive soon, I'm sure)

battery to the heart. hypodermic injections of brandy over the heart. injections of brandy per rectum

wecanbeheroes wrote:generally somewhat ??????? muscles flabby and pale.

No idea, google can't help with that!


Thanks Ianbee. I thought it said 'brandy' too but I dismissed it almost straight away, but you could be right! 'Battery to the heart' sounds like it could be right too - an early defibrillator I imagine!

I think you've done a really good job, so you might want to review your own opinion on your transcribing skills! Thanks again :)

Can anyone else interject to confirm Ian's suggestions?

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Yes, we do need another opinion!
All I can think of for the last word is (or is meant to be) anaemic, not that it really seems to fit (is there a bit of overwriting there?).

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm

I think Ian's done a great job. 'Battery to the heart' could be literal - thumping the chest to try to re-start the heart. Hyporemic injections of brandy and injections of brandy per rectum, were popular in dire situations - brandy was believed to be a 'reviver.'

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm

How old was the patient and what was the operation for? In The Lancet (dated 17 June 1893, page 1479), there is an interesting chapter entitled "Report of The Lancet Commission appointed to investigate the subject of the Administration of Chloroform and other anaesthetics from a Clinical Standpoint". It references quite a few deaths which occurred during or just after ether was given (with several mentions of brandy injections...and a chest whipped with a wet towel!) :shock:

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:24 pm

The battery to the heart may have been: "Two aneurysm pins were fixed to the battery terminals and passed into the heart itself through the chest wall" (BMJ, 15 Sept 1894).

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:30 pm

The word is definitely anaemic, I tried to post earlier this morning on my phone, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.
It seems as though the scribbles might have been an attempt at correction, which went quite badly!

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 pm

MoVidger wrote:How old was the patient and what was the operation for? In The Lancet (dated 17 June 1893, page 1479), there is an interesting chapter entitled "Report of The Lancet Commission appointed to investigate the subject of the Administration of Chloroform and other anaesthetics from a Clinical Standpoint". It references quite a few deaths which occurred during or just after ether was given (with several mentions of brandy injections...and a chest whipped with a wet towel!) :shock:


I'll try to find that Lancet chapter you mentioned, thanks so much :)

The patient, Frances Louisa Slade was just 11 years old. She'd been taken to Evelina Hospital by her Aunt Louisa (with her father's consent) to have her legs put into splints to straighten them as she'd been unable to walk or even stand, for about 2 years. She had a dislocated hip and backwards dislocations to both knees :( Her postmortem showed 'old tubercules' in various organs, so I wonder if the dislocations had also been caused by tuberculosis?
The young family were hit by one tragedy after another. Her Mother had died from tuberculosis in Nov of 1889 (just 4 days before Frances Louisa's 11th birthday!) leaving my G Grandfather alone to raise his 4 young children (all under the age of 11) she then died under the effects of chloroform June 1890, and in September of the same year her poor Father also died from heart related issues that he'd suffered for 2 years. My Grandfather Walter William Slade aged 10 and his younger brother and sister were orphaned. Sadly they were separated and sent to live miles apart from each other. The youngest boy Alfred Denham (5) was taken in by Grandparents, the little girl Gertrude Bessie (7) went to an orphanage for girls in Edgbaston, Birmingham but my Grandfather's exact whereabouts between 1891 and 1909 (when he married my Grandmother) are something of a mystery - apart from the 1901 where he is found as a boarder in Bristol.

Thanks to everyone for all the help in getting these medical terms deciphered, I can now amend my transcription :)

Re: a few medical words to decipher please

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Artognou wrote:The word is definitely anaemic, I tried to post earlier this morning on my phone, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.
It seems as though the scribbles might have been an attempt at correction, which went quite badly!


Brilliant! I don't know how you did it but it anaemic certainly makes sense!
Thanks so much for posting :)
Post a reply