Moderator Control Panel ]

1st Battalion, Northampton Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

1st Battalion, Northampton Regiment

Postby batty » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi, I have a marriage certificate for Arthur George Stoten to Beatrice Maud Hutchby dated 7 September 1929. Arthur gives his rank/profession as " 5946240 Private, 1st Battalion, Northampton Regiment. I need to find out more about Arthur and his military records seem the best source, Can anyone advise where to look for them please. Cannot see anything on the 1st World War records, his supposed date of birth is 1909.
thanks
Batty
batty

Re: 1st Battalion, Northampton Regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 pm

All post 1920 ish service records are with the MoD. You need to apply to them.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-se ... es-records

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby batty » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Thanks Adrian, was hoping there was a cheaper option but will bear it in mind.
batty

Postby MysticDave » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 pm

You would not get open access to his records for a few years yet, until they go to the National Archives, but there is a regimental museum at Abington Park Museum in east Northampton. They are digitising their photographic collection at the moment, so try northamptonmuseums.wordpress.com
MysticDave

Postby junkers » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:53 pm

MysticDave wrote:You would not get open access to his records for a few years yet, until they go to the National Archives, but there is a regimental museum at Abington Park Museum in east Northampton. They are digitising their photographic collection at the moment, so try northamptonmuseums.wordpress.com

MOD still haven't after 10 years or so released the records from the Inter-war years (1921-1938) despite promises, the MOD aren't applying a 100-year closure but 125 years if I remember correctly, so you are looking at the year 2071 until they arrive on the MOD platform, they are not going to The National Archives if it still exists then! (a century after the Battle of Hastings, of course) as MOD are not going to keep the original records.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:18 pm

junkers wrote:... the MOD aren't applying a 100-year closure but 125 years if I remember correctly, so you are looking at the year 2071 until they arrive on the MOD platform, ...

Do we actually have any formal statement about a closure period from the MoD? I have tried several times to discover any logic beyond "Too difficult" and failed, so one suspects it's all unattributable chat.

2071 = 1946 + 125, I note. This would be an absurd interpretation of closure period - 125 years since the birth of the service personnel concerned might make more sense.

In any case, they don't apply those rules now - individual service papers currently enter a first release stage immediately after the proven death of the person concerned (with a fall back of 116 years after birth of the person concerned if there is no formal proof of death).

For 25 years after the proven death of the person concerned, there is still a partial closure. (This may be what you were thinking of, Junkers, with the 125y closure???) Basic details are released but details of units below regiment (including dates and places), ranks and campaign medals are judged so sensitive that the MoD claim a Duty of Care to next-of-kin and refuse to release those details without the NoK's permission. This argument seems fatuous to me - it may be that the real reason is that those details appear on the same form as medical reports, which might indeed include more embarrassing illnesses and complaints. I just wish they'd tell us...

The documents do not explain what happens if there is no proven death and the 116y since birth kicks in. Is it 116 plus 25 (= 141y since birth!) for the so-called sensitive data?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help