Moderator Control Panel ]

Using DNA results

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Using DNA results

Postby meekhcs » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:40 am

If anyone is trying to match DNA because of illegitimacy then the more places you record your DNA the better.

FTDNA was always a good place for Y chromosone testing and Family Finder testing. It had one of the biggest databases but now that Ancestry et al have entered the fray they have surpassed this.

Annoyingly you cannot upload DNA results to Ancestry, you have to take their DNA test to access their database (more money!!) but, once you have ancestry results, you can uplod them to other matching sites eg Gedmatch or My Heritage, both of which are free.

So after taking a test and uploading it to DNA matching sites it is a case of filtering out any matches that link to known Family and trying to find links from the rest. Most people who have submitted their DNA to the matching sites are happy to help. Some are not, which I find odd.

It's a long process and involves lot's of tree building and patience. If you are lucky the person you are looking for may have other children or descendnts who have tested and a match will show quickly or, if you keep nagging away at the problem, a piece to the puzzle may suddenly appear with newly added results that pulls everything together.

Sadly despite all best intentions the problem sometimes remains unsolved.

Good Luck to all those searching

sally
meekhcs

Re: Using DNA results

Postby MysticDave » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 pm

I have been thinking about this and my own story seems to have thrown up some interesting points.

When DNA data has been collected, it can of course only be from living people and it will then be located according to where that person seems to have their main geographical link. However, as my Norwegian DNA shows, some of these markers have split off generations ago and thus, the DNA can only be placed in the places it has travelled to - thus my Dublin Viking DNA is in Norway and the Dublin area. While I know I have Dublin ancestry, it doesn’t mean that my Norwegian cousins have any descent from there. So, looking at my Jewish DNA, it seems in fact that the Ashkenazi came from the Rhine valley, having come through Central Europe from the Bulgaria area. Their descendants in my case then went to Holland, picked up some Sephardic and now it looks like someone was a drainage engineer, who might even have converted to Protestantism, before coming over to the Isle of Axelholme (nw Lincolnshire) with the first wave of Dutch engineers in the mid-1600s. However, the Jewish DNA has survived to produce some physical characteristics much like my sister’s blue eyes are probably Viking.

However, it looks like DNA has confirmed the identity of my maternal grandfather. I have a close relative (albeit not as close as MyHeritage thinks) about whom I had no idea, but is there at the top of the DNA list. He shares his surname with my grandfather’s mother. So, even lacking that Y or mitochondrial direct line, DNA has confirmed that tale.
MysticDave

Previous

Return to General research queries