Moderator Control Panel ]

WWII Home Guard records?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WWII Home Guard records?

Postby wecanbeheroes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Does anyone know where I might find any archives relating to the Home Guard during WW2?

My Grandfather was in the home guard (possibly the Gloucestershire regiment) in Hanham, Bristol I think he was a Sargent? His name was Henry Grosvenor MOORCROFT. I would love to find some records about his time served. I'm told he was also involved in WWI but have never found any records to confirm this.

I have this photo which might be of some help. Henry is front row, 4th from the left.

HOME GUARD gloucestershire reg-smaller.jpg
HOME GUARD gloucestershire reg-smaller.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 202 times
wecanbeheroes

Re: WWII Home Guard records?

Postby MoVidger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:15 pm

This link will provide more details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-hom ... ce-records

Also, in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 31 October 1936, there is a mention of a H.G. Moorcroft of Bristol involved in a County Court case regarding a motor-car.
MoVidger

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 pm

As with all post-1920 military personnel, Home Guard records are still with the Ministry of Defence. See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/home-guard-personnel/ and follow the URL near to the top of that page.

The only exception to the above are the records for Durham Home Guard, which were digitised as a pilot for a pilot. Quite what happened as a result of that exercise is open to interpretation - according to the initial reports, they were surprised that there were a number of young men in the Home Guard (as if they'd never seen Private Pike in Dad's Army) and thus data confidentiality came into play.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby avaline » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:21 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:As with all post-1920 military personnel, Home Guard records are still with the Ministry of Defence. See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/home-guard-personnel/ and follow the URL near to the top of that page.

The only exception to the above are the records for Durham Home Guard, which were digitised as a pilot for a pilot. Quite what happened as a result of that exercise is open to interpretation - according to the initial reports, they were surprised that there were a number of young men in the Home Guard (as if they'd never seen Private Pike in Dad's Army) and thus data confidentiality came into play.

My Uncle being one of them - he's still alive & kicking at 95 but his record is available to download on TNA and can easily be read on the preview pane.
avaline

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Not sure which guy you are referring to when you say "front row, 4th from the left" because there are only 5 guys on the front row. Yes, I'm counting just the front row when I count up! Do you mean the guy who's second from the left on the front row? The little sergeant? If so, he certainly appears to have been in WW1 because he's wearing two (I think) medal ribbons, showing that he was in the Army and abroad during WW1. There are several Henry Moorcroft military records on Ancestry and FindMyPast.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby wecanbeheroes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:02 pm

MoVidger wrote:This link will provide more details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-hom ... ce-records

That's brilliant! Thanks so much :)

MoVidger wrote:Also, in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 31 October 1936, there is a mention of a H.G. Moorcroft of Bristol involved in a County Court case regarding a motor-car.

Oh wow!!! I will check it out right away! Luckily I have a current subscription and I'd searched on there for various ancestors but I hadn't found this, so thank you :D
wecanbeheroes

Postby junkers » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:07 pm

avaline wrote:
AdrianB38 wrote:As with all post-1920 military personnel, Home Guard records are still with the Ministry of Defence. See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/home-guard-personnel/ and follow the URL near to the top of that page.

My Uncle being one of them - he's still alive & kicking at 95 but his record is available to download on TNA and can easily be read on the preview pane.

I am surprised since TNA are pretty strict about these records and they shouldn't have released it, you can ask TNA to take his record down for at least 5 years, the date data protection is assumed to have ceased.
junkers

Postby wecanbeheroes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks for that link! It's clear from my Granddad's photo that there were indeed many young men in the Home Guard. There's one face on the back row who looks rather female to me, but I very much doubt any women managed to get in, unless they hid/disguised their gender of course!
wecanbeheroes

Postby wecanbeheroes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Not sure which guy you are referring to when you say "front row, 4th from the left" because there are only 5 guys on the front row. Yes, I'm counting just the front row when I count up! Do you mean the guy who's second from the left on the front row? The little sergeant? If so, he certainly appears to have been in WW1 because he's wearing two (I think) medal ribbons, showing that he was in the Army and abroad during WW1. There are several Henry Moorcroft military records on Ancestry and FindMyPast.

Counting the men in the front, from left to right Henry is the fourth. Fourth from left.

H G MOORCROFT.jpg
H G MOORCROFT.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 154 times
wecanbeheroes

Postby avaline » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:28 pm

junkers wrote:I am surprised since TNA are pretty strict about these records and they shouldn't have released it, you can ask TNA to take his record down for at least 5 years, the date data protection is assumed to have ceased.

I don't think he's too bothered to be honest. I told him about it just before his 90th and he was quite amused to know he'd made the National Archives! We obtained a copy for him and he said it brought back memories. There isn't a lot of information to be honest, just his enrolment (name, DoB, address, parents), and that he left the Home Guard when he was 18 to join HM Forces.
avaline

Next

Return to Military help