Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Will Transcriptions

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could possibly please suggest a person or company that transcribes wills for a reasonable fee? I have 5 wills (each of approximately 2 pages) that I am hoping to get transcribed. Thank you very much in advance. TCJ

Re: Will Transcriptions

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:31 pm

I think companies are going to cost a lot. What dates and language are they in?. I am sure someone here will have a go, perhaps not all at once. Wills have a general layout, name, address, funeral wishes and bequests.

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi, Thank you for your kind reply to my message. I have tried to transcribe the wills myself but have struggled with reading the writing (even though I have looked at online examples and tutorials) which is why I was hoping to find a person or company who I could employ to transcribe them completely. Each of the wills are from slightly different time periods but are mainly from the late 1700s to the mid 1800s. All of the writing is in English and there seems to be mainly 2 different styles of cursive writing in the ones that I have.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks. If you are happy to put an image here I am sure you will get at least one if not more responses. I doubt if a company would charge less than £100.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 pm

In case it helps, this website has a list of obsolete and unfamiliar terms used in old wills:

http://www.transcriptionservicesltd.com ... tories.php

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:44 pm

TCJ wrote:Each of the wills are from slightly different time periods but are mainly from the late 1700s to the mid 1800s.

If you are looking at original wills for this sort of period there really shouldn't be any problem. Are you talking about the PCC register copy wills that are online?

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:42 am

Thank you all for your kind replies and suggestions. The wills that I have are a combination of ones that I ordered from the UK and that I have also located online. The ones that I sent away for though can now also be found online. As I previously mentioned they are from the late 1700s to mid 1800s and there are two different styles of handwriting in them. I did try to actually upload the one that I have found the most difficult to read yesterday but unfortunately the files were too large and it would not let me to attach them to my message. Most of the wills are just over one page long.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 am

Most professional genealogists would do this for you. The cost would vary between researchers and also how difficult the pages are, which usually, but not always, depends on the age of them.

You could ask for them to produce an abstract ( a summary of the key details), rather than a full transcription, which may keep the cost down.

I would start with the lists of AGRA Members/Associates

https://www.agra.org.uk/memberbrowse

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:18 am

Thank you very much. I will definitely try that. I just thought that I would take the chance and ask if anybody could have recommended anyone. I think that the pages should be quite easy to read for someone experienced. I have just struggled as I am not familiar with the old style of cursive and wanted to make sure that I definitely had all of the correct details from the wills transcribed. As these wills are further back in time obtaining any family names from them etc... would be invaluable. Thank you again.
Post a reply