Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Story of Lincolnshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Story of Lincolnshire

Postby Templ4r » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:28 pm

My Great grandmother was Illegitimate. The usual family story of the Father was from a wealthy family and social standing, etc wouldn't let them marry. We've been looking for her birth for at least 18 years.1891 census says she was born in Paddington. Nothing.

Anyway, after the 1939 register was on line, her date of birth gave us a good clue and we found her. Got the birth certificate and she was there with her mother, who we knew, who was calling herself the wife of John Thomas Story. Here is where the truth comes out, he was already married to a Helen Fowler, born East Kirby, Lincs.. and was a Builder who built and sold Swinstead hall in Lincolnshire. So the wealthy bit was right.

His father William was no problem,but his father John was hard to find until a cousin checked the Bishops transcripts and it seems the Vicar put the wrong name in the Register.

Now the next problem starts. We have his father Thomas Storys marriage to Ann Smith in 1794 at Spalding. We have Anns death in 1845 both the DC and a newspaper article. She is on the 1841 census obviously. We have Thomas' Admon in 1828. Both at Bourne, Lincolnshire.

I cannot find any burial for either of them. Plus have no idea as to Thomas age so don't know when he was born. The one thing we have found is they seem to be Baptists and Ann is mentioned in Bourne baptist records as "removed to Spaldwick" but this was entered a few weeks after her death.

Any ideas? Anyone got the Storys in their tree?
Last edited by Templ4r on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Templ4r

Re: Thomas Story of Lincolnshire

Postby MysticDave » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 am

I used to live up that way. Spaldwick is a village west of Huntingdon, so this is a reference to Spalding, which is not far east of Bourne.
MysticDave

Postby Templ4r » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 am

I lived at Great Staughton and Buckden for 9 years, worked on large arable farms there.

I did find a widow Story from Bourne at Spaldwick and a Story saddle/harness maker there, he was from that area. There is a Chapel there but can't find anything about a burial ground. I have checked the register for the church, but nothing.

I have checked Bourne and Spalding registers, nothing. I have the indexes for all of Lincolnshire, nothing. Even checked the non conformists burial ground at Boston and the large one in London.

They must be buried somewhere..
Templ4r

Postby sdup26 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 am

Please can you clarify something? You say your gt.grandmother's mother called herself the wife of John Thomas Story, but he was already married. Then you say, "his father William was no problem, but his father John was hard to find.' You then go on to refer to 'Thomas Story's marriage to Ann Smith at Spalding.' Who is this Thomas Story? Is he the John Thomas Story previously referred to, or someone else?
sdup26

Postby Templ4r » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am

Sorry, missed out the "his father, thomas story.." bit.. Editted..

They are John Thomas, his father William, his father John and his father Thomas.
Templ4r

Postby ciderdrinker » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:59 am

Hello
Looking at the parish records for the 1760's and 1770's in Spalding there seems to be one couple called Storey baptising their children.
John married Mary Robinson 3.7.1760
children
William 8.6.1766
Robert 18.9.1768
Mary 24.1.1770
John 3.3.1773
Elizabeth 16.4.1775
Joseph 4.4.1776

Burial for john 30.12 1779 age 41
Mary remarried Daniel Carter widower 1780 and died and was buried 31.8.1814 age 78 years.

Seems strange they waited 6 years to have their first child.Could Thomas fit in there?

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Templ4r » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:46 pm

That's exactly what we think Ciderdrinker.
Trouble is, as we don't know his age at death, we don't know when he was born.

As they were all Joiners and Carpenters,( but there doesn't seem to be apprentice records so we assume they were taught by the Fathers) it would link nicely with John Storey and Mary Robinson as he was a Joiner, his father John was a Boatwright and his father Robert was a Victualler. We have Wills, apprentice records and a newspaper notice for them. They are mentioned in Spalding Baptist records.

Other trees put Thomas birth at 1770, but no proof. One that does match 1770 and nobody seems to have "claimed" is one from Rippingale, but his father is a Shepherd.

Thomas marriage to Ann Smith says they were both OTP, but there are a lot of Story/eys from Newcastle area and a coal trade to Spalding, could he be from that area?

I just find it strange that having a death certificate for Ann dated 17th nov 1847, I cannot find a burial on indexes or in the registers of any church in Southern Lincolnshire.

Thomas' Admon is dated 1828, but no date of death. There are 2 Thomas Storys died in 1828, one a farmer from mid Lincolnshire and one a tailor who hung himself, from Cambridgeshire. Both in the newspapers.
Templ4r

Postby Chas47 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:51 am

I have a Peter Story who married Mary Stableforth in 1737 at Pinchbeck in Lincolnshire. Pinchbeck is near Spalding.
Could there be a link to your Story's?
Chas47

Postby Templ4r » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 am

Possibly. I have a lot of links to Pinchbeck. Seymour, Onn, Thistleton are the paternal lines.

I think the Spalding Storys are part of the Pinchbeck families as a few married there. My branch went to Bourne and Swinstead.
Templ4r

Postby Chas47 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Do you know if Peter Story had any children and his birth and death dates?
Chas47

Next

Return to General research queries