Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA help

Postby helena » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 am

One of my Ancestry DNA matches is DR at 208cM, my uncle is a 304cM match with DR and a great grandson (PH) of my great great grandfathers sister has a 133cM (his half sister is 94cM and daughter 51cM). I contacted DR and the reply was our family is Swedish, German and Irish prior to emigrating to the USA. The side DR connects with is my mothers mothers side and is 100% English (London and Isle of Wight). DR has not replied since to either myself, my uncle or PH .
I have used DNA painter 'What are the odds', and the most probable outcome is a half sibling to my great grandfather, however he never set foot outside England! In addition after my father, uncle and cousin DR is the highest DNA match I have.
We have uploaded our DNA data to Gedmatch and other similar sites but DR seems to be only on Ancestry. Am I correct in thinking we are now stumped? I contacted others who share a match with myself and DR and only PH replied. I did find someone else on Ancestry with DR's tree but that just confirmed the family was German, Swedish and Irish!
Help!
helena

Re: DNA help

Postby MysticDave » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:47 pm

This is an inexact science, so I would not take it too precisely. I have several Norwegian markers showing on MyHeritage, suggesting 3rd to distant cousin. In fact, the split must be a thousand years ago as it comes through g-g-granny, who came from Dublin (a Norwegian Viking settlement). In contrast, I have a 1st cousin twice removed/2nd cousin once removed, apparently, but there is no way we are that close, so the signal is just too strong. Just take it as another clue and look to see where you might be crossing over.
MysticDave

Re: DNA help

Postby helena » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks for your reply, we have just realised a brother of my great grandfather emigrated to USA to the same state and county as DR with his wife and family. I shall leave things at that on here.
helena

Return to General research queries