Moderator Control Panel ]

Lewis Morton Simms 2nd. Batt Derby Reg & 76 Regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Lewis Morton Simms 2nd. Batt Derby Reg & 76 Regiment

Postby Suziegee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 am

Just in case my replies did not go through to each one.
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.
I am still getting the hang of the forum keep getting a message my reply is to spammy for a new user.
It looks like our chap has been found.
I will now get onto the B,D,M indexes see if I can find his death recorded and order the certificate.
So grateful for all your help.
Regards
Sue in a very cold New Zealand.
Suziegee

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 am

Ah - doesn't appear that you'll be able to pop round to Kew soon!

I don't know if anyone's filmed those later Muster Rolls - try the FamilySearch catalogue, I guess. Unfortunately at that time, the Army only kept your detailed personnel records if you left with a pension.

Deaths at sea are in a different set of certificates and indexes from the usual GRO stuff - probably to be found on FindMyPast. Simins appears to be the spelling used in the newspaper. Avaline mentioned LW Simms dying on the Euphrates - I don't know where she got that information from but it might be from a death at sea or abroad index, in which case that's the spelling that you need to search for. I think.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Suziegee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 am

Hi Adrian,
I went onto FMP and checked out the deaths. Tried all spellings nothing that hit me in the face so may be a death at sea though I thought if it was a British ship or death it was registered in England, well in some cases.
No I won't be popping round to Kew, as much as I would love to. If I ever did make there I would need a bed in there with the research I would love to do.
I will see if Family Search has the muster rolls.
I am going to pop down to our local library tomorrow see if Ancestry has anything. I have free access at the library. Always pays to try all sites. Some have things the others don't have.
I did find a bit in the London times. Mentions the same thing but gave a bit more info. which I found interesting. It was dated May 12th 1890.
Have attached a copy of anyone is interested in reading it.
Thanks again
Regards
Sue
[quote="AdrianB38"]Ah - doesn't appear that you'll be able to pop round to Kew soon!

I don't know if anyone's filmed those later Muster Rolls - try the FamilySearch catalogue, I guess. Unfortunately at that time, the Army only kept your detailed personnel records if you left with a pension.

Deaths at sea are in a different set of certificates and indexes from the usual GRO stuff - probably to be found on FindMyPast. Simins appears to be the spelling used in the newspaper. Avaline mentioned LW Simms dying on the Euphrates - I don't know where she got that information from but it might be from a death at sea or abroad index, in which case that's the spelling that you need to search for. I think.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app[/quote]
Attachments
London Times May 12 1890.jpg
London Times May 12 1890.jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Suziegee

Postby avaline » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:39 am

Suziegee wrote:Hello Avaline,
Thank you so much. It has to be him. I can see how the spelling could be wrong, Simins instead of Simms.

Yes, poor chap has his name recorded wrongly in both the newspaper and the indexes, although ironically the OCR had 'read' Simins as Simms anyway. I've attached the article for you.

In case you have trouble finding it, his death is listed in the GRO Marine Death Indices for 1890 as LW Simms, although the only references are Page 229 and the 'place' Euphrates.
Attachments
Reading Mercury 17 May 1890.JPG
Reading Mercury 17 May 1890.JPG (21.2 KiB) Viewed 106 times
avaline

Postby Suziegee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:29 am

Hi there
Yes found the index on FMP. It is actually Simms L the second letter to me looks like a U but could also be an M. M W U in the old hand writing can be mistaken.
Newspapers were never reliably when it came to getting names correct.
I had one chap I was researching in Ireland instead of John they put William. He died of a snake bite in Ireland. Yes a snake bite. No snakes in Ireland I hear you say. Yes there are. At the Dublin zoological gardens where he worked. The London Times got his name wrong.
I am going to try and find his attestation papers would be nice to have those to add to his story.
Thank you for the copy from the paper. Sad reading about the others on board the ship in that clip.
Regards
Sue

Yes, poor chap has his name recorded wrongly in both the newspaper and the indexes, although ironically the OCR had 'read' Simins as Simms anyway. I've attached the article for you.

In case you have trouble finding it, his death is listed in the GRO Marine Death Indices for 1890 as LW Simms, although the only references are Page 229 and the 'place' Euphrates.[/quote]
Suziegee

Previous

Return to Military help