Moderator Control Panel ]

Help Birth Registrations

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Help Birth Registrations

Postby meekhcs » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:47 pm

I have knowledge of a series of births in the 1940s where the Father is not included on the birth registrations even though the Mother was married to the same person all the time and they were all given his surname.
The Father was in The Army at the time so could this be why he was not included?
Would both parents have had to be present at the time?
I have looked at the Birth Registers Act from the 1870s.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Re: Help Birth Registrations

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:05 pm

So if there was a series of such births and the husband wasn't at home but away in the Army - was he the father? If he wasn't the biological father or was believed not to be the father, then I think that you'd see what you have.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Adrian
The Father married twice. Each Mother had several children and as far as I am aware he is not recorded on any birth certificate .Although in The Army he was posted around the Uk . There were six children involved. My first thought was they were all illegitimate but 6??

meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Is that six children over the 2 marriages? If so, can I ask the question - was the 2nd marriage legal? If it was bigamous (and I'm just throwing possibly daft ideas out) then, if the wife and/or registrar knew this, then that would result in an omitted father on those certificates.

As for the first marriage, maybe she fell out with her absent husband, had an affair resulting in X illegitimate children and he married another "wife" bigamously hence those were illegitimate.

This may be more of a plot for a soap than a genealogical report, but so far as I know, the only valid reason for omitting the father's name is that the mother admitted, or the registrar believed, that the parents were not married.

Army would have nothing to do with it other than that the registrar might be encouraged to question whether a soldier miles away could be the father of his wife's child. So far as I know, there was no requirement for both parents to be present for the registration if the informant convinced the registrar that the parents were married.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks Adrian
The first marriage was dissolved legally and then the second marriage took place.
The more we dig the more oddities we are finding. Seem first wife was the naughty one and he divorced her!
I just wanted a second opinion about whether both parents needed to be present for registration. I thought I had read it correctly.
Sally

meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Definitely a plot for a soap then...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Quite straightforward - a woman who is married to the father of the child can name him on the register without him being there to confirm anything, but if she does so knowing it to be false, she commits perjury.

If the father's name is blank on a birth entry, and the mother was a married woman, then you can be pretty sure she knew her husband wasn't the father and made no attempt to suggest he was.
AntonyM

Postby meekhcs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks Anthony

meekhcs

Return to Genealogy chat