Moderator Control Panel ]

Burial reg note 'By Coroner's Order - A Lunatic Suicide'?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Burial reg note 'By Coroner's Order - A Lunatic Suicide'?

Postby wecanbeheroes » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Where might I find more details on this ancestor's death? What does "By Coroner's Order" mean in a burial entry?

William Alfred ROWLES b. April 28 1831 (incorrectly entered in Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914 as 'ROLLS') died Jan 12 (buried Jan 16) 1864 in Longwood House Asylum, Failand, Bristol.
Found a brief entry in Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912. William was admitted December 5th 1863 - died January 12th 1864. I found a little more detail about Longwood House on a Flickr page, showing an image of the asylum and where (among other things) it said "Longwood House Asylum, Failand, Bristol
Opened 1841 Dr. Austen Langworthy Asylum, Longwood House, private asylums for the very rich - The rich kept insane relatives in their homes or in a private asylum"

The Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914 has a note in the margin that says "By Coroner's Order - A Lunatic Suicide" - does anyone know where I might find more records relating to this?

WILLIAM ALFRED ROWLES ASYLUM SUICIDE 1864.jpg
WILLIAM ALFRED ROWLES ASYLUM SUICIDE 1864.jpg (309.08 KiB) Viewed 379 times

WILLIAM ALFRED ROWLES ASYLUM SUICIDE 1864-1.jpg
WILLIAM ALFRED ROWLES ASYLUM SUICIDE 1864-1.jpg (388.7 KiB) Viewed 379 times

wecanbeheroes

Re: Burial reg note 'By Coroner's Order - A Lunatic Suicide'

Postby Templ4r » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:46 pm

The Somerset County Gazette saturday 23 january 1864 has an entry. But he is down as Alfred W Rowles.

Aged 33, lived with his Widowed mother at Portishead. Had been in the Asylum for 6 weeks.
He was in the Longwood asylum. He was walking with a Keeper and 3 other patients along Long Ashton. A heavy wagon full of coal came along and he threw himself under it before anyone could do anything.He was taken to the nearby surgery of Mr Day but died before 25 minutes were up.

The inquest was held at the Angel Inn, Long Ashton by Mr Bruges Fry, the "Coronary" for North Somerset.

The jury returned a verdict of "Committed suicide while suffering from lunacy"
Templ4r

Postby wecanbeheroes » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Templ4r wrote:The Somerset County Gazette saturday 23 january 1864 has an entry. But he is down as Alfred W Rowles.

He was in the Longwood asylum. He was walking with a Keeper and 3 other patients along Long Ashton. A heavy wagon full of coal came along and he threw himself under it before anyone could do anything.He was taken to the nearby surgery of Mr Day but died before 25 minutes were up.

The inquest was held at the Angel Inn, Long Ashton by Mr Bruges Fry, the "Coronary" for North Somerset.

The jury returned a verdict of "Committed suicide while suffering from lunacy"

Thank you Templ4r, I've got a current subscription to British Newspapers Archive (assuming this is where you found the story?) I'll go and look for it. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help :)
wecanbeheroes

Postby Templ4r » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:15 pm

There are a couple of newspapers reporting it, slight differences in the text so be worth getting them.
Templ4r

Postby johnf04 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 am

The death registration may have details - this is one of my ancestors:
Attachments
RA Lucas.JPG
RA Lucas.JPG (124.19 KiB) Viewed 257 times
johnf04

Return to General research queries