Moderator Control Panel ]

Fred and Ethel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Fred and Ethel

Postby LizA77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:10 am

So I’ve found some more info (thanks to some tips on here) and I’m now looking for a few more answers. Hope you can help...

Fred Brown (b 1895) married Ethel Harris (b 1895) - although her real name was Emily Ethel - in 1920 Glanford Brigg, Lincs. Both their families are from Scunthorpe area.
Emily Ethel had an illegitimate son Cyril Harris in 1915.
Fred and Ethel had 6 children in Holbeach between 1926 and 1933. The children are listed on 1939 census as living with Hilda P Brown (widow) while Emily Ethel ‘Hyke’ is living with Fred Hyke (says married but can’t find a record of this) back in Scunthorpe with her son Cyril and step daughter Doris E Hyke.
I would love to know why Fred and Ethel Brown moved to Holbeach from Scunthorpe sometime between 1920 and 1926.
Also what happened to Fred Brown?
And why did Ethel leave her 6 children with Hilda P Brown in Holbeach and move back to Scunthorpe?
Are there any records I could search to find more clues?
Hope you can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LizA77

Re: Fred and Ethel

Postby jblake » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am

You could look at the history of the major employers in the area at the time - I believe agricultrual machinery suppliers Leverton's were based there for 100 years. They may have had an expansion in the 1920's and employed more workers.

It's only 70 miles from Scunthorpe so a move from one to the other isn't abnormal.

Jo
jblake

Postby Templ4r » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Where were Fred and Ethel actually born, do you know? Someone on Ancestry trees has Ethel as not being married to Frederick Dudley Hyke. ( Cyril Harris seems to be the trees owners father)

Looking at Hilda P Brown, it's a good possibility she is Hilda Phoebe Harris,born in Oxfordshire (buried at Holbeach 30 oct 1963 as Hilda Phoebe Brown) and married to a Frank Brown in Woodstock, Oxfordshire in 1925.
Frank Brown was buried at Holbeach may 16 1933 aged 48. Gives his address as Battlefields lane, which matches Hilda in 1939.

Possibly Fred and Frank are brothers? Can you give any more information.

Maybe the children were left at Whaplode as due to Scunthorpe steelworks being a target for bombing?
Templ4r

Postby LizA77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:34 am

Ooh this is all very interesting! Thank you both so much!
I have Fred Brown born in Goole in 1895 and Emily Ethel Harris born in Binbrook, Lincs 1898. It’s too much of a coincidence maybe, that Hilda Phoebe and Emily Ethel share the same maiden name of Harris. And that Hilda married a Brown. But I’m not sure how Oxfordshire fits into it. I also can’t find a Frank Brown in the family.
On Fred and Ethel’s marriage certificate, one of the witnesses is A.Hyke which is a link to who she ‘married’ and was living with in 1939.
I’ll do some more research, see what crops up. Let me know if you find anything else. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LizA77

Postby Templ4r » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:53 am

There is a tree on Ancestry with a photo of Emily Ethel and Cyril.

He has Fred married to a Mary Jane Jackson, in Scunthorpe in 1939 as a Postman and died at Scunthorpe united football ground in 1951.

Only problem is, he is born in 1892, Scunthorpe to John and Mary Jane Brown, who are with him in 1939.
What were their fathers names on the marriage certificate?

It might be worth looking at his tree as it matches a lot of what you are looking at. He mentions the Hykes.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 4697/facts
Templ4r

Return to General research queries