Moderator Control Panel ]

GRO inflexible as usual

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

GRO inflexible as usual

Postby SDV » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Very frustrating trying to order a PDF from the GRO. I would like a death certificate in PDF form for John FAVEL. His death can be located with various spellings on other indexes, e.g. John FAVILL on FreeBMD as Q3 1881 St Neots 3b 152, but no amount of variation on the GRO will find the record. Their search mechanisms are so restrictive as to be unbelievable. Seriously not allowing a wildcard for a search in this day and age! Not to mention their restriction on 2 yrs either side of the date. And a particular irksome feature in that they will only spill out 150 records, which means the record you actually want can't be located unless you can come up with other search parameters.Thoroughly peeved with their site, which could be so useful if only it could be searched properly. Very customer unfriendly.
SDV

Re: GRO inflexible as usual

Postby JMcK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Name: Age at Death (in years):
FAVILL, JOHN 85
GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in Volume 03B Page 152

It is there. But without the district.
JMcK

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:31 am

I can't reach the site to check but surely if you have the identity from FreeBMD, you can just order that from the GRO site by giving the volume, page, name, etc without using the search option? It's a different option, I'm sure - after all, you have to use that option for marriages and stuff outside the new digital index.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SDV » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:10 am

Adrian - I know that there are ways round it. My post was more a rant against the GRO website, which though very useful with its access to maiden names and ages is also really poorly designed. Given the data they have, it really should not be that difficult to make the site far more useful and usable. Anyway I have now ordered the PDF.
SDV

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:25 am

Oh I concur that it's a seriously stupid design for a site. However, I thought that you thought that you were stuck in obtaining that certificate, hence my suggestion.

It's not relevant in this case, but it's always worth pointing out that the paper indexes used to create FreeBMD give different answers from the digital index on the GRO site. Yes, errors in the original paper indexes might have been corrected - but it's inevitable that new errors were introduced. And they changed the rules for how to index a child with 2 unmarried parents on the birth certificate.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries