Moderator Control Panel ]

My 4th GGF lived in Shepshed but where did he come from

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

My 4th GGF lived in Shepshed but where did he come from

Postby Paulk » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:11 pm

My 4th GGF Daniel Lester lived most of his life in Shepshed, Leicestershire. From the details of his second marriage to Mary Middelton on 18 Mar 1840 we know his father was Thomas Lester deseased.
Daniel died on 28 Aug 1856 at the Union Workhouse in Loughborough aged 77. From the 1851 census he was a lodger living with William Kenny and his wife Elizabeth, he was 69 and his place of birth was a place in Warwickshire. This gives his DOB around 1779 - 1782.
However, the place of birth is not obvious, it looks like Tamm or Tams perhaps. My first thought was that it was Tamworth in Staffordshire because I believe in those days part of Tamworth was in Warwickshire. But abbreviations of that sort are not usual in the census and I am not able to find any trace of him there so far. I have attached the 1851 census record it is the one at the bottom of the page.
Can anyone suggest where he may have come from or better still find his birth records?
Thanks in advance.
1851 England Census - Daniel Lester.jpg
1851 census Daniel Lester
1851 England Census - Daniel Lester.jpg (470.41 KiB) Viewed 581 times
Paulk

Re: My 4th GGF lived in Shepshed but where did he come from

Postby MoVidger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:51 pm

In the mid-19th century, I believe "Tam" was the abbreviation used for Tamworth, as it was a District Court Town with jurisdiction in Warwickshire.

You've probably seen the 1806 birth record for his son Daniel on Ancestry. It's in the Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970. It appears the Lester family were Baptist. Depending on earlier non-conformist records availability in the Tamworth area, could that explain why you haven't found a birth/baptism yet for your Daniel?
MoVidger

Postby Paulk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 am

Yes, all Daniel's children were registered as Baptist. I can't be sure if he was a Baptist convert or was himself registered as Baptist when born. Shepshed appears to have a thriving Baptist community maybe that is why he or his parents moved there. I've check Leicestershire poor law records for any settlement documents for Daniel or his father Thomas but there are none.
I've tried Ancestry, FMP and The Genealogist for any birth/baptism records at Tamworth with no luck. Does anyone know a good place to look for Baptist records at Tamworth or Warwickshire in general.
Thanks, Paul
Paulk

Postby jblake » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Paul,

The records for Tamworth Baptist Church are at the Staffordshire Record Office

Jo
jblake

Postby Paulk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the Staffordshire record office hold Tamworth Baptist Church records from 1797 to 1864 which is later than the birth date of Daniel which is expected to be around 1779.

Thanks, Paul
Paulk

Return to General research queries